Johnny H

Remap a VR6??

Hi Guys

I see some people have remapped there VR6.

Is it worth doing??

What would you get out of it??

What needs to be done before a remap??

Whats the best reamp??

When i had a Audi S3 i had it revo remapped but i would think it would be a different remap needed.

I'm just seeing what people have done before i think about getting anything myself.

Thanks Johnny

There are two or three places to go . DG autotec ,believe they are still going ?, someone will name the other two . The engine will be more responsive , fuel consumption will be better as well. When they remap ,the vagcom is conected, they adjust the engine to run the best it can ,ie running to rich or whatever ,they can sought it . Well worth doing anyway .Rob

My car came with a remap from AMD and it's really responsive compared to my old C. Not sure about it being much faster but it rolling roaded a bit higher. Makes the car feel lighter and fresher I think that's where the best gain is.

I also get about 26mpg on the same runs to work I used to get no more than 22 from my old vr...

I also get about 26mpg on the same runs to work I used to get no more than 22 from my old vr...

I like the sound of that, anyone know anyone in Somerset that does them??

I'd buy some other bits to go in at same time then map to suit mods....

Like what mate???

Coilovers and an uprated headlight loom.

Sense of humour back now.....lol glad to see

Coilovers and an uprated headlight loom.

:grin:

If your gonna get it mapped, obviously its better to do it after buying exhaust, air filter, intake manni, exhaust manni, etc etc or whatever performance mods you decide you want. Reason being is that as soon as you add these after a remap, it negates what you've just done. Better off doing other mods before the remap. :D

Drop CrazyDave a pm ;) Not really much more power, but a good VR map will give a better spread of torque, providing better low down grunt. Makes a nice difference.

Ok will do, is he someone who can help do it or know alot about them??

Just so know what to say in the pm lol

Johnny

Not sure if he will still do the remaps now..

Dave wrote a remap for VR6 Corrado's when he was part of DG Autotech along with Graham. He's since moved on but DG Autotech are still running - I just don't know if Graham still has the maps and can still remap a VR6.

Another modification you might consider to compliment a remap is a set of performance cams.. a remap and cams could net you up to 15-20BHP but a new set of cams are a bit expensive!

Not sure if he will still do the remaps now..

Dave wrote a remap for VR6 Corrado's when he was part of DG Autotech along with Graham. He's since moved on but DG Autotech are still running - I just don't know if Graham still has the maps and can still remap a VR6.

Another modification you might consider to compliment a remap is a set of performance cams.. a remap and cams could net you up to 15-20BHP but a new set of cams are a bit expensive!

Never thought about doing the cams befor, how much are we talking ?? And isit a big job??

Tis a fairly expensive job... I reckon for cams and a remap and all the labour you probably wouldn't get much change from a grand... but I have a set of Schimmel Performance 263 cams in mine and a DG remap to compliment it, and it feels fantastic!

Cams is what i was thinking about too..... keep you eyes open for some SP 263s. These + map = good result

If you ever come to any of the meets I'm at, I'll take you out for a spin in mine with cams and remap and see if you think it makes a difference!

I don't want to put a downer on things but a general rule with the VR is that more power = mucho dollar.

I'm not saying you can't extract a few easy-ish gains but trying to get over 205bhp, or thereabouts, can get fairly expensive.

I know the Schrick is fairly expensive and doesn't add all that much in raw bhp terms but when it comes to having some more torque but, more importantly, a lot more driveability, I think it's worth the outlay. Especially when you consider all the little bits here and there soon add up - larger TB, induction kit, cams etc. Whereas a Shrick can be installed (in a day for a half reasonable home mechanic) and can be pretty much forgotten about.

Just to throw an alternative opinion out there!

Dave still does maps when he has the time- worth asking him. I've had the following maps on VR6s in the past: AmD, Stealth & Dave's DG map. IMHO, Dave's was by far the best.