d3927

Gearbox oil grade

Will be fitting reconditioned box this week, i know it takes 2 litres but what oil type is best, i have some mobil 75w 90 fully synthetic, will that be ok?

I was going to get some Redline MT90 following recommendations I've read on here.

Top tips (apologies in advance if you already know this!):

Get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug. Drain when warm or like me you won't get it all out.

Lastly, fill from level ground using a long bendy piece of hose into the fill hole, or you will over fill unless you jack both front and back of the car. This is because the fill hole should be filled to the brim if level. You'll be surprised how a few degrees makes all the difference to burst oil seals.

...enjoy the improvement!

thanks for the advice bit worried about oil seals, i am fitting a reconditioned box should i fill it with the 2 litres before fitting it, should be easier and i will then know for definate the right amount is in ???????

I wouldn't worry too much, but I would do your best to get it right. The trick is that when fitted, to fill to the point where oil stops running out of the fill hole.

tou could fill a new oil-free recon box before you fit, but it'll be heavier.

if I was fitting a new box, i'd want to refresh the oil fairly soon after, like you would with a recon engine. The wear on new gearbox parts may not be as big as for an engine, but either way you'll need to get used to filling it fitted anyway.

since you're filling from perfectly empty, you will know there is none already inside. When you drain it next time, just note how much comes out before blindly trying to cram more than that back in, or you'll overfill for sure.

good luck :)

i know it takes 2 litres but what oil type is best

Just about to order some redline MT90 for my manual gearbox (VR6 Engine), can anyone who has done the job tell me exactly how much oil is required please........

I've done a search on the forum and come up with three different answers.. above says 2 litres....... Wiki says about 1.5 litres and another post on the forum says "I ordered three bottles". there is no mention of the amount in my car manual either...

So do I order 2 Quarts or 3 Quarts.... ie...2 bottle or 3 bottles..... thanks for any help.... don't want to buy too much or too little.....

the box looks too bit to hold less than 2 litres.