petemcr

Passat Moonroof

Hi all

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but the search didn't bring up what I was looking for so I thought i'd ask.

I know the Passat B3 sunroofs are a direct swap for the Corrado's, but I was reading on the Corrado Canada's forum that they're more a direct fit for the early type.

so my question is, as i've been offered one, will a B4 Passat 94' sunroof mech fit into my 93' Corrado VR6? Before I go buying it and find I have problems which could have been avoided

cheers

Hi there, Ive just fitted an N reg passat sunroof into my Corrado. I've had to use a few washers to lower the sunroof as its sligtly more bubble shaped than the Rados. Its slightly noisy though so I'm going to raise mine up slightly (hopefully sealing the roof better). Other than that though its a perfect fit, I used a few longer bolts at the front though as I'd lowered it but all the holes match up perfectly and the Rados sunroof motor also bolts straight on and works perfect.

Hope this helps,

Tom

cheers Tom

wasn't sure about the fitting but i'll pick up some washers on the way home today, so you used your original motor? The guy has sent me a motor with this and it has the same connection as the original, think I should do the same and use my original motor or swap it for the one he sent me?

Also, does the interior cover match your Corrado's trim?

I re-upholstered my interior cover as it had a hole in it but I believe it matched. Once the roof lining is out, compare it against the cover as if you need to re upholster it, you'll have to do it before you put the sunroof in. The upholstery cost me about £2 so it wasn't expensive.

My sunroof didn't come with a motor so that's why I used the original corrado motor, I'd try the one that came with it though if its the same connector as I'm assuming its a more powerful motor. Just test it, you don't need to drop the sunroof to swap the motor so if you find it doesn't work, put the corrado motor on and it should be fine. I'd do all that before re-installing the roof lining though.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions if your unsure. Its all pretty straight forwards though :-) let me know how you get on.

Tom

Will do, I can't wait to get it in, the runners have snapped on one side on mine since I got the car, so i've never had a working sunroof, but now i'll have one working and glass... not that it's being used much with the crap weather hahaha

I did like you said though, I compared the motors and the Corrado one is much larger than the Passat one and from the sounds of it, has a lot more power as well

So I did it, really did choose the wrong day to do it, but it was sunny in the morning here so it seemed like a good idea, then it lashed it down all day till it had a little break, enough to finish the job

thought I would include some pics for anyone who's considering it and wants to know how they look, not tested how loud it is though

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60005[/ATTACH]

Did it fit OK in the end? Mine needs doing but not sure whether to swap for a moonroof or just fix the mech...

good job. must get round to doing mine this summer, does it make a big difference to lightening the interior, and how long did it take you start to finish?

It took me a day but that was faffing with all the interior trimmings and re-uPholsterong parts. Changing the sunroof itself is the easy bit. I believe it makes a massive difference to the light inside and I much prefer it. Well done on getting the job done. I'll chuck some pics on of mine. Also people have seemed to reccomend the passage sunroof as apparently it's a much better mechanism than the Corrados.

Hi there, Ive just fitted an N reg passat sunroof into my Corrado. I've had to use a few washers to lower the sunroof as its sligtly more bubble shaped than the Rados. Its slightly noisy though so I'm going to raise mine up slightly (hopefully sealing the roof better). Other than that though its a perfect fit, I used a few longer bolts at the front though as I'd lowered it but all the holes match up perfectly and the Rados sunroof motor also bolts straight on and works perfect.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I noticed this when i fitted mine, a lot more wind noise. But definitely a worth while mod.

I'd say to anyone planning to do this, do it, like tom said it really lights it up inside

But Tom, I was rushed putting mine in because I had a hour window of no rain to do the swap so I didn't use any washers and its sat fine and no wind noise, even on the motorway... I don't know if its quite, or I'm used to my old noisy uncovered sunroof so this is silent in comparison lol

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Edited by petemcr

Makes a big difference to lightening the interior, never had any problems with noise. And i used standard corrado runners and motor. And they dont scratch up like painted panels. Got a spare glass panel if anyones keen pm me.

I just have the glass sunroof panel. Is it easy to just swap the metal opening panel for the glass one? I can see there are just 4 screws to fit it, but how easy is it? Does the bit of headlining trim that sits inside the opening remain or does it have to be removed?

I would have thought you'd remove the lining if its the original corrado one as it doesn't slide

But Tom, I was rushed putting mine in because I had a hour window of no rain to do the swap so I didn't use any washers and its sat fine and no wind noise, even on the motorway... I don't know if its quite, or I'm used to my old noisy uncovered sunroof so this is silent in comparison lol

I'll have to try highering mine then, when I first put mine it without the washers, the middle of the glass was slightly higher than the roof whilst the sides sat flush with the roof.

Im thinking of doing this to mine too, as im doing a complete resto job on the car while adapting alot of it to more modern equipment!! has anyone got a list of what sunroofs actually work with this mod??? As coming across B3/B4 glass sunroofs isnt that common here!! :(

When I was looking around I read somewhere that mk3 golf moonroofs can fit but something like the glass shape is different. Have you checked eBay for anyone breaking a passat? That's where I found mine

Mk3 golfs fit and I believe the seat cordoba does too.

My roof came from a mk3 used the mechanism too and it was a straight swap.

If you're ever in a scrap yard measure a few different VAG panels... You will be suprised how many are the same fitment, contrary to what a lot of people think

The only difference between the metal and moonroof (apart from the panel, liner, parts of the mechanism in the cassette etc) is the size of the spacers on the roof cassette itself. The only difference between the Mk3 Golf and B3/B4 Passat is the shape of the glass panel itself.

They all fail for the same reasons (lack of lube, leading to wear, jamming and snapped components) so picking a roof from a more common car might help get a 2nd hand roof for less, but doesn't guarantee a successful repair...