Sign in to follow this  
virgin

VR6?

HI, I’m new to this

I need your views on a decision I have to make I have recently come across a 93 VR6

Which I want to purchase. Here is the problem. I have been told that it is a cat (d) write

Off so I check to find out what that means! It turns out that it is not that bad as I thought

Cat (d) means - that if your pride and joy is involved in a collision, and the bill to repair

Is more than 60% of the value of the car than they will write it off you can then buy it back very

Cheap and fix it yourself, with second hand parts. I have come across such a car!

It has been repaired to the highest standard and looks very good it had bang to the front

With a lamppost, wings were untouched. Because it has been repaired it is very cheap

£2400 is it a bargain :?:

Sounds like a good price, but you will have problems when you come to try and sell it on later on down the line.

You also want to make sure that the smash did no structural damage - have you had a test drive in it yet? Hope it wasn't pulling to the side or anything?

Is it on a Q plate?

I personally would avoid it. There are straight cars out there for not much more.

Speaking from personal experience, a monocoque car isn't the same after it's been bent.

Speaking from personal experience, a monocoque car isn't the same after it's been bent.

Yup, especially in a car that is capable of 150 Mph, you will feel any imperfections or unbalance and these will vibrate thru the subframe... Not nice.

It drives ok! it is not on a Q plate, i may give it a miss cos it has 150k on the clock

and no history so maybe it not such a good deal after all

Hm, I know its ok for some people but no history makes me very nervous.

For the amount that this car could cost you in repair bills, you might as well spend the £1,000/£2,000 to get one one with full history and no accident damage! :)

Yeah it could cost you a fortune, but TBH so could a "good" one. The big test is: how does it drive? If it feels loose, steers badly, pulls to one side, drags it's brakes, engine sounds course or rattly or is producing smoke, or any of the usual problems, walk away, it'll be expensive. But if it feels tight, quiet, refined, powerful, all the gadgets work properly, all the electrics work, and so on, it might be worth a £2k punt.

Best bet is to get it checked out by the AA/RAC or even a local friendly garage. Pay 'em half an hour to crawl over it and make sure it's mechanically all it's supposed to be.

If well maintained, there's no reason why these cars can't do 250k miles, and even if not well treated, the basic components are strong, so they *can* be repaired (admittedly at some cost).

For the amount that this car could cost you in repair bills, you might as well spend the £1,000/£2,000 to get one one with full history and no accident damage! :)

I agree, spend a little bit extra and get one that you know something about, and with less mileage, you'll probably save money in the long run mate

You can often get a bargain on a car with a CAt C or D history, provided that the car has been repaired to a high standard. See if the car has been on autoline. They are a company that check over such cars to verify that the damages have been repaired to a high standard, and that structurally the car is good to drive.

Having said this, £2400 is alot for a 150K miler with this kind of history. It would only be worth considering if your planning on keeping the car for a while, and not expecting to get your money back

Must've been a front end smash then - the slam panel's definitely been replaced - plastic bits are missing i.) to cover the exposed top RH corner of the Rad. and ii.) plastic flap in front of the airbox and behind the LH headlight and iii.) plastic cover missing where the LH bonnet catch/spring fastens into the slam panel...

Means it might have had or need the front chasis legs jigged... all ammo for you if you want to persue it and make an offer...

Looks very similar to a car I saw advertised in the Auto Trader about a year ago for similar money in the Merseyside area, even has the same wheels.

Hey! it might be the same one. this is advertised in the auto trader for 2795k i said to the

guy who is a trader i wont pay any more than 2400 he said ok! the car is in leeds

and i have till the end of the week to make up my mind if i want it.

it might not be a bargain after all, cos it has no alarm or radio so add at least 500 on

top of the price Mmmm