HummuH

Blackberry Corrado G60 Turbo Race Car

Love this thread. May have to come see you race next year :)

Welcome any time mate, let me know if you need tickets. We'll also likely be down at Croft, Oulton and Cadwell and possibly others at some point next year.

I bet you were glad to get that 'tidy up' finished. Laborious but worth while. I like the fan demister option, nice touch ;)

My knees and back are still killing me but quite a sense of satisfaction when it's all off!

Superb, love it!

I put my VR6 on a weighbridge many moons ago, out of curiousity, and it weighed a few more kilos than a MK5 GTI (1336kg). Full road trim, full tank, 17" wheels etc. They are heavy cars!

Welcome any time mate, let me know if you need tickets. We'll also likely be down at Croft, Oulton and Cadwell and possibly others at some point next year.

Ooo i wonder if we could organise a forum meet & watch you race too.....anyone....maybe? :D

Not much to report as progress is slow even though there's been many hours spent on it!

After installing the new heater set-up, next job was to do some painting of the interior and then to a tidy up of the wiring in behind the dash. Once that was complete, we got the butchered and painted dash back in:

IMAG1011_zpse2d6e6db.jpg

IMAG1012_zps69cbf7bc.jpg

Then I spent far too long cutting carbon fibre to fill the blanks now left in the dash. For ease, we decided to keep some of the original switches:

IMAG1018_zps24ce29ec.jpg

IMAG1019_zps81fc5a1d.jpg

IMAG1032_zps8162e2a6.jpg

IMAG1031_zps715903fd.jpg

I can now plough on and finish off the rest of the interior painting and general tidy up. Should hopefully be finished with the internals later this week so will update further after that. At that stage, we can weigh it again and see how much weight has been saved from the dash butchering and new heater installation.

OK, starting to see some actual progress. Now the interior is almost done (for this year anyway) we could start to figure out how the weight saving was going. So, up onto the scales to find out how much weight we had saved from removing the heater matrix and chopping up the dash. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, probably trying to limit expectations more than anything. So, in the same state this is what the car weighed before the matrix/dash work:

IMAG0878_zps22660df9.jpg

This is what it weighed after the work:

IMAG1039_zps767b6aba.jpg

So, 922.5kg down to 911kg, an 11.5kg saving. Have to say, I was delighted with that. To put that into context, at Knockhill I'm told it's generally considered that a 10kg loss equates to 0.1 sec gain in lap time, in theory of course. A big hill to pull yourself up and heavy braking zones mean weight is critical to a good lap time. Might sound irrelevant but when your competing against folk who are consistently 0.2 to 0.3 secs a lap quicker it starts to make a difference over the course of a 12 to 15 lap race.

Anyway, now that we had seen some "achievement" from our graft, we could start on other aspects of the weight loss. The doors were getting it. The weighed in at a massive 22kg and 23kg when we removed them, still can't figure out why one door is 1kg heavier than the other but hey ho. So this is what an unmolested (almost) door looks like:

IMAG1059_zpsdf04c359.jpg

So, Scotty got all excited and unleashed the angle grinder. After being deafened for a couple of hours, this is what we were left with:

IMAG1053_zpsd70af7fd.jpg

IMAG1057_zpsdeb3d663.jpg

IMAG1056_zps8988a576.jpg

Two doors butchered. I will smooth the cuts out and got some nice door cards to install from LWS Design. On initial weighing, we've cut 6.5kg out of each door so roughly 13kg saving across both doors.

So, in the initial phase we've saved 24.5kg already. Other items that will further reduce weight and guestimated saving:

GRP bonnet: 10kg

GRP tailgate: 8kg

Race battery: 4kg

Bumper reinforcement: 2kg

Conservative estimates I hope but we'll see. A couple of other random pics of the newly tarted interior, sorry for sharty quality, the workshop lights are a nightmare:

IMAG1048_zps5c411000.jpg

IMAG1046_zps0807d978.jpg

IMAG1043_zps4bc7398e.jpg

I'm liking those headlights. Could we have some detailed pictures of them please?

Which ones? Current ones are OEM. Previous ones were homemade generic lights and indicators mounted to an aluminium sheet, pop riveted. Cover was just Lexan. was the worst set-up I've seen lol

Sorry the led lights before. Im sure they were better than the standard oem headlights haha

Nope. They were only there because at the time cars had to have working headlights and indicators. They were truly pish and defo not LED's!

Ahright. If you squeeze eye lids together really tight so there shut they kinda remind me of the porsche 919 spyder led lights hahaha.

I'm looking for ideas for better headlights to make.

Interior pretty much done now, new seat and a few other bits and bobs back in.

IMAG1066_zpsff0a1cbe.jpg

IMAG1063_zps3dffd2c4.jpg

Just need to install something to protect ECU from passenger feet and that should be it for the inside.

Looking very tidy indeed mate and some cracking weight saved. Bet this thing is FUN!

Cheers mate. The weight saving will make a decent difference!

Awesome!!! What front brake setup is it you are running and what size of wheel??

Thanks.

Currently running Wilwood Superlights, 310mm under 16" wheels.

Good brakes but not really up to the job at Knockhill, get too hot. Waiting on delivery of a new AP Racing 330mm set-up which will go under 17x8 wheels.

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. Are they getting too hot because of the speed you are hitting when applying the brakes coming into the corners, or because the brakes are being used more with the extra power round the track??

Currently looking into wheel/tyre choices for the 24v track car. Dare say something less substantial would be suffice on it, although its a 5x100 setup. Probably going to be 16" wheels as well.

Looks brilliant. Look forward to seeing you at Khill next year.

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. Are they getting too hot because of the speed you are hitting when applying the brakes coming into the corners, or because the brakes are being used more with the extra power round the track??

Currently looking into wheel/tyre choices for the 24v track car. Dare say something less substantial would be suffice on it, although its a 5x100 setup. Probably going to be 16" wheels as well.

Looks brilliant. Look forward to seeing you at Khill next year.

Knockhill's the hardest track on brakes I've found so far, 3 hard braking points in succession. The brakes have always suffered, even before the 20vT.

The calipers I have would be excellent for fast road/occasional track work, not quite up to racing.

Makes sense if it's an out and out race car. How many laps are you out doing in one race, and how many races per weekend? Like you say an occasional track car that's fast road most of the time would be fine with them.

I could be interested in the Wilwoods price dependent when/if they become available. I'd need to look into changing the rotor bells to 5x100 though. Not a big issue, as long as the brackets for the same on both 5 stud and 4 stud hubs.