HummuH

Blackberry Corrado G60 Turbo Race Car

cracking videos & great racing! i really enjoyed watching these :D

in the 1st race the mini didnt leave you much room to pass after he went onto the grass did he!!

ive had some good fun with a siera cosworth 4*4 myself, after a couple of fun miles he pulled over & waved me past with a big thumbs up lol

Awesome! I hope my track car is this good once it's finished.

Thanks. The most fundamental piece of advice I can offer is the get the ride height right and get properly matched dampers and spring rates to suit the weight of the car. makes a huge difference. Also, Kumho V70's :)

cracking videos & great racing! i really enjoyed watching these :D

in the 1st race the mini didnt leave you much room to pass after he went onto the grass did he!!

ive had some good fun with a siera cosworth 4*4 myself, after a couple of fun miles he pulled over & waved me past with a big thumbs up lol

Ta. Yeah, the wee Mini can be quite defensive!

And so it begins....

Package1_zpsd60bcc7f.jpg

First of about 20 packages has arrived, this one from VW Heritage. I'm like a kid in a sweety shop.

This is how she currently sits:

August2014_zps8f6c1899.jpg

Major overhaul this winter. Wanted to get a year under my belt with the new engine before thinking about going bonkers. JabbaSport have built a truly awesome unit so not too much fannying about required under the bonnet.

Summary of winter 2014 plans:

* Body - fit Berg Cup arches, LWS GRP bonnet, custom side skirts, new front splitter and rear diffuser to be fabricated and installed. Remove sunroof and re-skin.

* Full respray - L041 Black.

* Weight loss - delete heater matrix/blower, trim loom, butcher doors, remove any internal/underside non-structural metal etc.

* Internal - full paint job inc. cage, new switch panels, fit LWS GRP door panels, install new seat.

* Front end - lower 10mm to 15mm, fit SCCH ball joint and Track Rod assemblies. Full hub and wishbone refurbishment. New drive shafts, bearings and CV's. New gaiters on everything.

* Rear end - lower 10mm to 15mm, refurbish rear beam.

* Brakes - Install new front AP Racing kit (4 pot - 305mm/330mm, AP Racing brake bias unit, new lines throughout.

* Gearbox - install longer 2nd gear.

* Wheels - Pro Race 1.2 17x8, 4x100, ET20 running 235/40/17 Kumho V70.

* Setup - corner weight.

* Engine - JabbaSport health check, install push-to-pass button.

Last race is 5th October and can't wait to get cracking ASAP after that.

Will do my best to keep updated with progress.

Was the last race meeting for us in the Scottish Sports & Saloons and the season finished with an awesome finale. Managed to bag two Class wins which was not bad at all given the issues we had throughout the weekend. We had some very special cars out with us, see below.

The Corrado getting some two wheel air action at the chicane:

a3_zpsf2c75a89.jpg

Battling with another Corrado 20vT.

a2_zps2952dc61.jpg

The obligatory woopsie moment:

a5_zpsbf2179c9.jpg

We had a great field out with us, 27 cars lined up on the grid for race 1:

a1_zps4e07ab3b.jpg

Phil Dryburgh's Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 car, you cannot begin to imagine the sound this thing made, fully de-restricted:

a7_zpscc5f2797.jpg

Also, Stewart Whyte brought his Honda Accord BTCC car out to play:

a9_zps379ce481.jpg

Finlay Crocker brought his spanking new Seat Leon Eurocup car along, what a piece of kit this is:

a6_zpsd2b33b45.jpg

Really looking forward to getting to grips with the car over the winter and coming out lighter and faster next season.

Well done on the wins mate, fantastic pics. Look forward to seeing more in the future :thumbleft:

Race 1 - Knockhill October - Corrado v's Corrado

On the grid knowing I had a bent drive shaft and worn CV's, gulp, whole car was vibrating. Went easy on the start, paid the price, lost places to a BMW M3, a Subaru Impreza and Chris in the other Corrado 20vT shot off into the distance. Got it together and had passed the Impreza and M3 by end of 1st lap. Closed in on the other Corrado and although he was out gunning me in a straight line, got past after a couple of laps. Went on to take Class win.

Wheel fell off returning to paddock. Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IryIr8ORBRo=24

Great video and nice driving ;) That was a great tussle with the other C in race 1, nicely passed too. Did you have other cars up your chuff when you were trying to pass him?

Shame about the wheel but at least it didn't happen during the race!

Great video and nice driving ;) That was a great tussle with the other C in race 1, nicely passed too. Did you have other cars up your chuff when you were trying to pass him?

Shame about the wheel but at least it didn't happen during the race!

Hehe, had an E36 M3 up my rear before the pass, put some distance once I got past the white 'Rado.

Wheel was my fault, used a Snap-On cordless gun to tighten wheel nuts not realising they torqued to 400nm, oops. Car started shaking on the final lap. Wheel bolt threads stretched and popped the nuts one by one and shagged the hub/drive flange. I now realise why you should be very careful about wheel nut torquing.

lol oh dear! Yes you don't expect them to torque up that much do you!

You looked pretty relaxed behind the wheel, have you been racing a long time?

lol oh dear! Yes you don't expect them to torque up that much do you!

You looked pretty relaxed behind the wheel, have you been racing a long time?

Raced the Corrado for three years now, so feels like home now. Really does take a few years to learn get the most out of the car and there's always more time in yourself. I've got it set up to suit how I drive which is slightly more biased to under-steer. Maybe not the fastest set-up but works well over the course of a 15 to 20 min race.

Ok, started the winter strip last night.

First thing to do was put the old girl on to the scales:

0f9799ef-eab5-45f3-828f-45c6d3e35fd1_zps9ba61fac.jpg

So, 1016kg with about 15l of fuel in there so as I thought, prob bang on a tonne dry. That's roughly a 66:34 F/R split, would ideally like to have that down to roughly 60:40 with corner weighting to tweak.

So, in preparation for various bits arriving we started removing bits from the car that we knew were heavy to get an idea of what each component weighed. By the end of the night, this is what the scales were saying:

IMAG0878_zps22660df9.jpg

922.5kg. Bits removed were:

Bonnet: 13.5kg (was already partially butchered - 14.5kg with hinges, bolts washers etc)

Tailgate: 17.5kg (with Lexan)

Pass Door: 22kg (with Lexan)

Drivers door: 23kg (with Lexan)

Seat and Mounts: 15kg

The doors were the biggest surprise, can't believe how heavy they were but quite a bit to butcher so can hopefully get them down a bit.

Next step is the heater matrix and all other useless gubbins behind dash before the interior gets a tart up. Hoping that will cut c. 10kg but will see when complete. Gonna be a busy winter :)

IMAG0883_zps67f9d715.jpg

IMAG0885_zpsffb92687.jpg

Please excuse the sharty pictures, lighting wasn't helping!

Lol yeah they parts are heavy old beasts. I couldnt believe how much a door was either until I tried to pick one up. GRP bonnet, doors and tailgate are they way to go.

Annoying thing as you will know is suspension will need dialled in again after that weight removal.

Lol yeah they parts are heavy old beasts. I couldnt believe how much a door was either until I tried to pick one up. GRP bonnet, doors and tailgate are they way to go.

Annoying thing as you will know is suspension will need dialled in again after that weight removal.

Can't do doors unfortunately but if I could I would. Roof skin and bumpers would be done as well, bit of weight there too. Think you can get them down to around 910kg with all the bits done, maybe less if you go full carbon.

So, with the nights drawing in I thought we'd make a start on the hard stuff. First task I wanted to tackle was removing the heater matrix, blower, fan controls etc. So, dash was coming out. Having a full cage didn't help but we got it out and were presented with the usual array of nightmares lurking behind. After we had removed the matrix and pulled off as much of the foamy insulation sound deadening type stuff this is what we were left with:

IMAG0900_zpsd4d8f453.jpg

IMAG0903_zps845ae6d3.jpg

Mmmmm, nice. So, I got some tunes on and set about the worst job ever. The heat gun and I were now good friends. Foamy stuff gone, bitumen sound deadening gone, quick lick of paint and just the glue to remove, which would prove to be the most annoying part of the job.

IMAG0923_zps411aae00.jpg

IMAG0920_zpsbc42492d.jpg

With the heater matrix gone, I was left with the problem of how to de-mist the windscreen. I wanted to keep that function but ditch the weight of the full matrix. I found a very neat solution from T7 Design which was basically a radiator and high flow fan that you would normally find in a PC, with 2.5" outlet mounted to a bracket to allow fixing to the bulkhead. When we removed the matrix, we had to fabricate an aluminium panel to fill the hole in the bulkhead and to also fix the step down coolant pipe fitting, again, T7 Design provided that solution:

IMAG0924_zpsea5b129b.jpg

IMAG0928_zps6195da34.jpg

Looking at the fan, I was a bit dubious about the volume of airflow so we hooked it all up, fired the car up and let it get up to running temp. After a few mins of putting the system to high pressure to check for leaks all was good so we fired up the fan. Really impressed with the output. We retained the OEM dash windscreen vent ducting and sealed a length of 2.5" duct into it. I would guess the airflow would be comparable to somewhere between setting 3 and 4 on the OEM Corrado set up but obviously only blows hot air. Quite a neat and very light solution:

IMAG0929_zpsbe3c2495.jpg

Next step is to lighten dash, paint and reinstall. We will find out at that stage exactly how much weight we have saved by doing this.