axcel01uk

263 Schimmel Cams Wanted

Hi guys

I have been trying to source some schimmel 263 performance Cams for my VR, I have found a US supplier at:-

http://www.spturbo.com/onlinestore/index.php/volkswagen/corrado/vr6-92-95/12v-vr6-camshaft-set-263-street.html. The price is pretty reasonable at 450 USD however, postage is 183 USD and I guess you then have to factor in import tax as well.

I know quite a few cars on the forum have the schimmel 263 cams, does anybody know if they purchased them from the above website ? or does anybody know where I can get them from in the Uk ?. T

I was also considering some alternative cams from DG autotech as some previous reviews on here were very favourable but after ringing them today they said they no longer supplies cams for the VR6 12v as they said they wasnt enough demand.

Anybody got any other recommendations for alternatives. ? I have seen Piper cams for sell in the UK but not really sure of quality.

Any help would be appreciated.

I like the look of them aswell, interesting to see if someone can help you and point me in the right way to go with cams.

Johnny

Might be worth trying to sort out a Group Buy? Has been how they were sorted in the past. I know scarlet_vr6 is interested in a set after having a spin in my car the other week so you might be able to drum up enough interest to get 5 sets which would help on postage and presumably they'd do a discount :)

id be interested in a set of 263's those with my G60 final drive should make it a nice machine.

Jim, are you offering goes in your car to interested parties? :)

If we can get these or similar cams at a reasonable price I'm definitely interested. Maybe DG would do a run if enough folks are committed?

id only be interested in the Schimmel... tried and tested and the results speak for them selves.. very good power gains in some applications following remap.

If anyone local to me does want a test drive in mine at some point to see if they feel cams make a worthy difference, I'd be happy to oblige!

Cheers Jim, shame your miles away from me, even reading some of the old threads and write ups from people who have had them fitted they seem about the best thing you can to do a standard vr lump especially if you have a remap as well.

I emailed spturbo.com yesterday about delivery times etc they havent come back to me yet, do you know if this was the same company that was used for the group buy before ?

id be interested in a set of 263's those with my G60 final drive should make it a nice machine.

Whats this G60 final drive you talk about mate??

Is it something i should get after the cams??

Well pleased with my DG map and cams. Last I heard from Graham at DG it was not easy for them to get a decent deal on the cams and it was unlikely that they would be able to offer any more, but that was a while ago.

Whats this G60 final drive you talk about mate??

Is it something i should get after the cams??

totally, a 3.68 FD is a modification often overlooked and really changes the charactisteristics of the VR6... had one on my previous VR's and currently collecting all the bits to get my new gearbox with the final drive fitted.

Might be worth trying to sort out a Group Buy? Has been how they were sorted in the past. I know scarlet_vr6 is interested in a set after having a spin in my car the other week so you might be able to drum up enough interest to get 5 sets which would help on postage and presumably they'd do a discount :)

Yes, I'd love a set of 263s but really don't think I could afford them at the moment (although that didn't stop me reading this thread...). I think bodywork has to be next on the list and then I can start thinking about nice upgrades like this. I'll keep an eye on this thread though, just in case!

agreed! G60 final drive is definitely on my 'want' list. Do you have an LSD too, Pete?

a g60 final drive and an uprated rear ARB makes the corrado vr6 a much better car, a good set of cams would help also.

if a GB goes ahead?? as in the last one if they are all sent to me i can ship them all out for beer tokens, as it should work out cheaper as they (SP Turbo) will only be sending out one parcel.

Kev, get on the phone to SP mate.

I'm going the 3.68 + lightened flywheel route. Getting a longer 5th gear from a TDI put in at the same time ;)

You do realise the gap from 4th to 5th will be intergalactic don't you? :lol: To my mind that is a complete waste and will just turn your corrado into a '4+E'. Personally speaking, the stock 5th with the 3.39 FD is spot on and 175mph capable. So the best solution to get 3.68ness with a tall top gear is to go for a 6sp 02S install, which can be had from the non-GTI MK5 Golf. Since both the 3.68 and 02S installs require a gearbox strip down, you may aswell do the 02S. It's what I'll be doing next time my 02A has to come off the engine.

I was speaking to Vince @ stealth the other day if its worth bothering with a lighter flywheel. his response was "dont bother" good enough for me.

You do realise the gap from 4th to 5th will be intergalactic don't you? :lol: To my mind that is a complete waste and will just turn your corrado into a '4+E'. Personally speaking, the stock 5th with the 3.39 FD is spot on and 175mph capable. So the best solution to get 3.68ness with a tall top gear is to go for a 6sp 02S install, which can be had from the non-GTI MK5 Golf. Since both the 3.68 and 02S installs require a gearbox strip down, you may aswell do the 02S. It's what I'll be doing next time my 02A has to come off the engine.

That what I'm building here at the mo, 02S GQM gearset into 02A CCM box, if my math is right should give aprox equivalent to the 3.94 diff in 1st to 3rd , 3.68 in 4th, standard 5th and uber-drive 6th.

Would also love a set of 263's to go with it!

The Autotechs seem to get a good reputation. As VR6Pete said, it's a tried and tested thing with the SPs though. That assurance is worth the extra money imo.

The last GB I did of 263s was the last I'm afraid. They said they didn't want to do any more. I suppose as times are hard at the moment, they might be willing but if I arrange it with Bill, someone else can run with it as I haven't got the time.

I contacted Bill Schimmel last week and he said he is prepared to offer discount on the cams again. Although judging by the overwhelming response. Not sure why I bother tbh.