Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

Does your VR6 consume alot of oil?

Was wondering if anyone else that drives a VR6 finds that they have to fill oil almost every month?

Mine has 87k on the clock.

When I last filled it up with oil, is it was almost empty, and that was a month ago. Since then i have driven about 1200 miles only, and yesterday checked and it was just as empty as last time.

It doesnt particularly smoke from the exhaust, and there are no leaks.

Where is the oil going? anyone got any clues?

Cheers. Del.

The oil fairy drinks it. It makes her drunk. Then she pukes on your bonnet as she's leaving. I bet you thought that was bird crap, didn't you?

When I last filled it up with oil, is it was almost empty, and that was a month ago. Since then i have driven about 1200 miles only, and yesterday checked and it was just as empty as last time.

mine doesn't drink that much, but I top it up every month or so

My level stays at max for ages and then it'll suddenly drop to 3/4, but the most I've ever had to put in is 1/4 litre over 5-6000 miles. No smoke, nothing. Doesn't seem to use any more oil than a 4 cyl VW engine does.

It's on 93K.

Check for oily deposits on the rear bumper, that's always a good sign you're burning.

K

The handbook says that it can lose a litre every 1k miles.

I havent noticed that on mine to be honest. Depends on your driving style too at the end of the day.

The handbook says that it can lose a litre every 1k miles.

I havent noticed that on mine to be honest. Depends on your driving style too at the end of the day.

I think that's 1000km mate, so 600 miles :roll:

As we've discussed before, this is a 'get out clause' VW put in the handbook as they obviously can't guarantee how much oil and engine will use.

No-one has asked what type of oil is being used here!

Surely we should have got that question in before the fourth or fifth reply on the weekly "how much oil does your VR6 use" thread?

No-one has asked what type of oil is being used here!

Surely we should have got that question in before the fourth or fifth reply on the weekly "how much oil does your VR6 use" thread?

/me bathes in Dr Mats sarcasm

In fairness to the folks that don't see this site all day long like those of us with no life, the search thing isn't the best in the world on these php BB systems, so it's very tricky to find the things you're looking for, but it was only two or three days ago (I'm sure) when the last "oil use in my VR6" thread went through.

A head rebuild at Star is the outcome I think...

The forum is still young and it will take a while to build up a pattern of common questions....although some are emerging already. It's a no win situation, you can either A) rebuild the forum layout every 3 months with new catergories or B) accept the fact not everybody uses the search facility and not let the same old Qs bother you. You don't have to contribute if you don't like repeating yourself....

Just my 3 p

K

Where did you see me repeating myself? I said something completely different from my previous comments... ;)

As Kev says, whats in the handbook is just to cover VW!

1litre per k when new and being run in maybe but that should then drop to almost nothing, then as the car gets older that will then start to rise again as engine wear begins but when you get back to 1ltr every 600 miles then i'd say you have a problem!

Yeah! A Litre per 600 miles... You deffeniatly have a problem! Aren´t there any signs of leaks? Is there any smoke? Does the exaust smells like burned oil? That is very strange... :roll: My G60 needs a not even a litre of oil for 10.000 Km! 8) And my charger is leaking oil (to help this). Be carefull! :!: Stay in touch with the forum! You have big experts around here! :D

I've done about 3k since I bought mine last November and it's used about half a litre of oil in that time, my mileage is 98k now so I guess that's bout ok judging by this thread and others I've read. Driving just over 1k and finding it empty is a bit too much,I rekon it should have settled down by now, it's not as if your engine has done mega miles.

In fairness to the folks that don't see this site all day long like those of us with no life, the search thing isn't the best in the world on these php BB systems, so it's very tricky to find the things you're looking for, but it was only two or three days ago (I'm sure) when the last "oil use in my VR6" thread went through.

A head rebuild at Star is the outcome I think...

That might have been my VR :cry:

Its been at star P for a week and it's going to be there for another. Two weeks without my corrado :cry: :cry: :cry:

And at the end of it, I have to had over a massive wedge of cash.

very unhappy, been working all weekend (overtime) in an attempt to pay for some of it

timo