ade1882

Looking to buy a storm

I sold my vr6 3 years ago to fund the purchase of a more family friendly 2005 Audi s4 avant. I am now looking for a storm to enjoy in the summer months and garage through the winter. Any advise on what to look for condition mileage service history etc wise? Having owned a corrado for 5 years I know all the common faults but am not sure how important service history and mileage will be.

Also if anyone knows where to get one? I have been looking on eBay auto trader pistonheads and here for the last few months but not much seems to come up. Maybe I just need to be patient. I am willing to travel to buy one but live in Aberdeen.

You just missed one of the best in the country that went for a ridiculously cheap £3,000! I think we're all kicking ourselves for not buying it. I know I am.

They always say you should buy cars of this age based on condition rather than anything else. Personally if I was looking to go and buy I wouldn't be looking for a Full Service History as such but would want to see reciepts and see what has been done. I'd take a wallet full of receipts and a patchy service schedule over a handful of receipts and a full service history!

Don't let mileage put you off provided that high mileage work has been done (e.g. replacement of tired bushes, suspension, timing chains, etc etc). Make sure the bodywork is good.. if there's a bit of surface rust then that wouldn't concern me as it can just get sorted in a body shop. I'd also try and avoid buying a modified car aside from rudimentary stuff like aftermarket suspension or exhaust. Make sure you check all the electrics like the spoiler and sunroof. Check for damp carpets in front / back / boot.... beyond that I'd say it's down to looking for all the normal stuff you would when buying a car! :)

Hi, there are a few Corrado's kicking about Aberdeen and I know there was a blue Storm for sale tail end of last year but the guy was wanting too much.

I see there's one for sale in central Scotland on here and one on eBay in Cheshire. Anyone seen them? Got any thoughts on them?

This is why I don't understand why C5's Storm took so long to sell. There are buyers out there but for some reason they just looked past it. Very, very weird. As Jim mentions it was one of the best in the country. I think the mileage must have been a factor but when you look at what was done it really shouldn't be an issue.

When I was looking for mine I did get a bit hung up on mileage I must admit. But having owned mine now, which certainly doesn't have low mileage, I'm cured and it isn't really a big factor for me now. Regardless of mileage the cars are old and parts degrade over time even with less than average use.

I agree with what Jim has said; try to find a car in good condition, no major rust, and evidence that maintenance has been done along the way (not just routine oil changes but work on other parts too). A big folder of receipts is very desirable and check on here if anyone knows the car.

But equally I wouldn't restrict yourself to just a Storm. If that's what you've set your heart on and no other car would satisfy you then by all means go ahead and get one. But I suggest still keeping an eye on the rest of the market as something great may turn up as you then have a wider choice of cars to look at.

Good luck.

Been looking....???? lmfao...makes me laugh when people say they have been looking...!!!

Edited by C5 OEM

Been looking....???? lmfao...makes me laugh when people say they have been looking...!!!

Why does it make you laugh?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I am looking for one as standard as pos.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Because Andy has just sold one of the best rado storm about for £3k!

Been forsale for months bud

How much are you willing to spend?

No budget as such. I'm looking for an unmodified one. If it needs a bit of cosmetic work I'm willing to buy a cheaper one and get it up to scratch.

I kinda had about 4000 in my head as a limit but if a cracker came up I could pay more.

He had been trying to sell for some time and had absolutely no interest despite being advertised in multiple places. Yet it was arguably the best car out there for sale at the time and one of the best in the country. It was show condition and a credit to the effort he put into it. It finally sold a few days ago after the price was dropped several times to a price way below what it should have sold for. I saw the car several times and it really was special by the end. And very, very OEM because it was a regular entry to shows. Superb paintwork, rare cream recaro leather, and so much attention to every nut and bolt.

It was slightly high mileage but the saying "buy on condition and not mileage" was made for this car.

Only considering a Storm?

Yeah. I have my heart set on a storm. I always had a slight regret when I had my vr6 that I didn't buy a storm. I know they're the same car. I think I like the exclusiveness of a storm.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

He had been trying to sell for some time and had absolutely no interest despite being advertised in multiple places. Yet it was arguably the best car out there for sale at the time and one of the best in the country. It was show condition and a credit to the effort he put into it. It finally sold a few days ago after the price was dropped several times to a price way below what it should have sold for. I saw the car several times and it really was special by the end. And very, very OEM because it was a regular entry to shows. Superb paintwork, rare cream recaro leather, and so much attention to every nut and bolt.

It was slightly high mileage but the saying "buy on condition and not mileage" was made for this car.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------[/

Edited by ade1882

And that's why you're going to absolutely have to forget about mileage and buy purely on condition! If any more cars come up that you want an opinion on, post them up. And if other folks are local enough I'm sure they'd go and view them for you.. I will if any come up in the Warwickshire area.

If any come up in the Surrey area or nearby then I'm happy to take a look.

Yeah. I have my heart set on a storm. I always had a slight regret when I had my vr6 that I didn't buy a storm. I know they're the same car. I think I like the exclusiveness of a storm.

There are only about 3,000 cars left in the country now. Maybe around 1500 VR6 at most. many of those will be SORN. They aren't exactly a common car in any form. I'm actually thinking nowadays that the G60 might the be exclusive one due to them being the first model and rarely coming up for sale in decent condition. There can't be many left now.

But if you're after a Storm then you're after a Storm :) Just try to avoid buying the first low mileage one that comes along unless the rest of the car reflects the mileage.

Edited by Portent

Cheers Jim. That's a great help. I am down woking and Chester areas this week. I would have loved to have arrived home with my wife driving the s4 and me in a storm but I don't want to jump the gun and just buy anything. Sounds like I missed a beauty. There is one for sale 6 miles away from me in woking but it's a cat c so am avoiding looking. With my 3 on 3 off rota if one comes up during my 3 weeks offshore I'm knackered.

I've been convinced about the milage thing. I think I was a bit blinkered because the vr I sold 3 years ago only had 70000 on it and it made it easy to sell but I'm buying a storm to keep.

I'm only around the corner from you (Claygate / Esher) :wave:

Is the cat C a green one? I have a feeling that was up for sale last year. If you're keeping it then as long as it has been repaired properly then it shouldn't be an issue. The problem with a cat C is that it is harder to sell again. having said that I would probablyh avoid a cat C too.

However it really depends when it was written off. For example a £23k car when new needs a lot of damage to write it off. But a £3k car nowadays can be written off with a small tap somewhere with superficial damage. It might be asking what the damage was and when it occurred (and ask if there is evidence of it).

On balance probably worth avoiding but still worth a quick phone call.#

You don't work in the power industry by any chance do you?

I'm only around the corner from you (Claygate / Esher) :wave:

Is the cat C a green one? I have a feeling that was up for sale last year. If you're keeping it then as long as it has been repaired properly then it shouldn't be an issue. The problem with a cat C is that it is harder to sell again. having said that I would probablyh avoid a cat C too.

However it really depends when it was written off. For example a £23k car when new needs a lot of damage to write it off. But a £3k car nowadays can be written off with a small tap somewhere with superficial damage. It might be asking what the damage was and when it occurred (and ask if there is evidence of it).

On balance probably worth avoiding but still worth a quick phone call.#

You don't work in the power industry by any chance do you?

I work in the oil industry

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

I work in the oil industry

It's a blue one. I did email and the seller (a garage) said he has no info on why it was a cat c but it must have been repaired to a high standard. It's actually 15 miles away the one that's 6 miles away is a burgundy vr6. I'm in horrsell just now but am heading up to Chester tomorrow before returning to Aberdeen. I have not seen a single corrado on the road so far.

If he doesn't have any info on the repair then ignore the car.

I love the fact they are rare. You get people staring at it. I've even had someone get out of their car in a car park and knock on my window to talk to me. Unfortunately it's now getting quite hard to get parts for now. It's quite different to 5 years ago I gather. My usual VW garage conversation goes like this...

Me: "Good morning, I'd like to buy a thingymajig for my 1994 Corr..."

Them: "I'm sorry Sir that item is obsolete".

How much work needs done to it? Im no mechanic. I would have to get any technical stuff done by a garage. What info do you have for me or pics? To be honest I probably am not capable of doing anything major.

Is everything there? Interior etc. what works and what doesn't. How much are you looking for?

In saying all that I do like the idea of spending some time and feeling my hard work has brought one back to life.

Edited by ade1882

Sounds reasonble price to me. Ive told him about your post on here.

Details

For Sale

Manufacturer – VW

Model - Corrado VR6 Storm

Registered - 08/95 – N Plate

Fuel - 2.9 Petrol

MOT – October 2012

Tax – end of July

Mileage – 127K

Full Service History

Colour – Blue (mystic ?)

Interior – Black Leather

Brief History:

Selling on behalf of my brother - impending fatherhood has meant the Corrado has to go to make way for a more child friendly second car.

He bought the car locally – some of you may possible recognise it.

It has an extensive amount of history on it – having gone through it to organise it!

Car looks to originally been located down South and serviced by VW in Co Durham till about 1998

After that looks like the owner worked up in Aberdeen initially and travelled up from Co Durham area – both Speccy and Lookers receipts before it looks like moving to Aberdeen

Servicing then carried out by VW Aberdeen and Perth - interim brakes etc seem to have been done in different places – all receipted

Rolling Roaded by Wallace in 2006 – 203BHP – mileage 114K

My bro bought the car mid 09 with approx 122K miles – since then he’s done a total of 5000 ish miles!

Last service and MOT was at VW in October @ 126822 Miles - spent just under £700

Usual VR6 Storm spec as far as I can see and bog standard – comedy ride height included, I am prepared to stand corrected on any of this, but looks original apart from smoked side indicators, scorpion exhaust and K&N Filter.

Previous owner mentioned it had had a complete respray at some point – I can’t confirm or deny this as no paperwork however if it has been painted it’s to a high standard in my opinion

Has new Sony CD player installed

Leather all in good condition, bolsters etc – no rips and tears however I will have another look over it to confirm.

I got him to remove the frankly hideous M3 style lights he had fitted and put the standards back on – M3 one supplied in the boot!

Points of note

I think the leccy mirror switch is kaput! Need to check, I should have another lying about that I will fit or supply – left over form the one I broke

The heater motor very occasionally starts screaming at you – easy enough to replace – this is very intermittent but keeps you on your toes

Small stone chip in windscreen but passes MOT – been noted a couple of times

Someone dented the passenger door in a car park – has been fettled with by Dent Devils but couldn’t completely remove it.

Apart from the above it’s a very presentable car – still pulls really well, awesome note – no suspicious knocks or chain rattle etc.

Could easily go either way with it – totally standardise it or nice wheels and lowering would see it right.

Or you could stick a 1.8T in it and fit sparkle silver wheels

He’s looking for £3500 for it

I have the car at the moment for viewing – he works away a fair bit (hence the cars limited mileage increase)

Pics to follow soon as, Photobucket is being a complete bellend just now for me (most likley my fault) but can sms or email to interested parties in the meantime

Call 07595919238 to arrange view/test drive - Car based in Aberdeen

Cheers

Steve