Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Mouldy plugs

Hi guys

Take a look at my plugs below, anyone think green is an unusual colour for them to be??

The motor has been down on power recently so going through a number of checks.

Also anyone have any tips for cleaning up the plug recesses of oil and crusty bits without getting any of it into the cylinders?

Cheers

K

It's a VR6, no ignition timing adjustment possible...

Maybe need a new knock sensor? What's VAG-COM showing for your per-cylinder timing advance values, Kev?

Odd that it would be all six plugs, unless both knock sensors just aren't working.

I know this ...timing gets affected in other ways besides a dizzy :?

ok.. hence my other questions to kev. :)

Cheers for the responses guys.....

Fuel is Optimax. I can't *hear* any pinking, but that's not to say it's not occurring.

Haven't checked VAG-COM recently but the last time I looked (about a month ago) there were no fault codes. The knock sensors are monitored, so would expect one or both of them to come up if knackered?

I shone a torch into the cylinders and the tops of the pistons appeared to be wet, think I'm starting to burn :cry:

Oil level doesn't seem to move very much though and I scoured the piston crowns with some TV wire and the deposits were just dry carbony type particles.

Think I'd better start saving....... and just when the Schrick's on it's way aswell....typical!

K

The knock sensors are monitored, but they're only small microphones, so the ECU can't fault them unless they go open or short circuit.

I suppose it's possible they are simply not picking up the knocking. It may be worth removing them and inspecting one to see if it looks ok.

BTW- Personally I just think I don't wanna know what's going on in there. I'll live on in blissfull ignorance, thanks... (Until the day I have to keep topping up the oil, or I find the performance is significantly hindered...)

When's the Shrek coming then, Kev? Any news?

I think I worry too much.....it's only a lump of metal at the end of the day....which can be replaced.

I have heard the rear KS tends to disintigrate and when people remove, it comes off as a pile of debris!

Shreks are arriving in the second week of April apparently mate....

K

That's due to pre-detonation,its a chemical in the fuel that causes that(sulphur),check ignition timing and the fuel your putting in.

Think you could be onto something there.... I pulled the knock sensors at idle earlier and the ECU didn't code them. Will try a drive tomorrow under load and see if the ECU codes them then. If it doesn't, then the ECU is fecked as it basically doesn't know they're there.

K