Portent

TT mk1 a future classic?

I owned a lovely Moro Blue TT back in 2003 and loved it. I sold it when I wasn't using it enough. When I bought my Corrado I was also looking at maybe getting a TT again but the Corrado won the day :D But whenever I look at them they seem a great buy as a future classic...

They had iconic looks.

Parts are much easier to get than a Corrado and I guess will continue to be that way in the future due to large sale volumes and platform sharing.

They are a car that many people wanted when new but couldn't afford or wouldn't suit their circumstances due to limited space - this means that they may come back and scratch an itch at some point.

People don't look at them anymore because they are cheap. So I suspect that they will shortly be entering the part of the market where many are being broken instead of repaired. Numbers will therefore start falling quite sharply soon.

While people criticised their handling and for it being just a Golf in a frock I always found the grip tremendous and it has the benefit of a tunable turbo and Haldex.

They may be a car to buy in a year or two and try to keep it in good condition. They may have a better chance of future appreciating value than the Corrado.

Thoughts?

No way a classic.

The comments about it's MK4 underpinnings, numb steering and iffy handling were well founded in my opinion. It was / is nothing more than a boutique car for bored housewives. Just like the Bini and Fiat 500 are today.

The only decent TT is the RS in the current shape. That actually has performance pretentions rather than just looking pretty, but even then the MK1's looks divide opinion, looking like a flattened Beetle to some.

The run-out 240hp MK1 is the only one I'd consider, because of it's decent wheels and black roof, which set it apart from the sea of others out there.

Doesnt anyone remember the recall as the things were sliding off the road?

I'm not even sure if the 240 had back seats or maybe the fronts were buckets.

Nice motor.

Yep, the 240 had some very nice front Recaro buckets. No back seats, just a strut brace.

Yeah the first TTs were recalled to have the silly little stick on spoiler fitted, to help calm lift off oversteer at high speed. I believe some more permanent changes were also made, along the lines of revised dampers and bushes at the rear. I'm sure the TT anoraks will be along to offer more precise info :D

I remember when they first came out, they were certainly very distinctive, like nothing else on the road at the time, but then so was the Ford Sierra :)

I reckon a mk1 TT roadster will keep going for a while, like a lot of soft tops, but the TT isn't exactly renowned as a driver's car.

In a way I think audi lost it a bit with the mk2 TT, it may have better running gear but it had far less impact on me design-wise than the mk1, it looks pretty bland sometimes, just a short Audi, not saying I wouldn't mind one though if I could afford it!

Yes lots of changes due to it rolling during the elk test. The handling degraded after that as they added the spoiler, made various suspension changes and more importantly added electronic controls which numbed everything. They grip well but don't have the feel of the Corrado.

But what really stands out about them is the styling. Granted they look a bit muted nowadays but they were very desirable at the time.

EDIT: Actually, it couldn't have been the elk test as they already had them on the road and had to recall them. Must have been a few people crashing them.

Edited by Portent

Hairdresser and lady lawyer's car, from what I see in the cities.

My GP (quite macho, huntin' shootin' fishin' guy, actually) got rid of his after a few months. Regular coilpack failures then. Trouble was, if you needed replacements, waiting list - not enough available from our teutonic friends' factory.

Like the look of Dr B's new Subaru 4wd estate, though!

I see our 80-something neighbour who was MD of a bus factory in Falkirk (Camelon) after numerous new Passats every two years has now gone Japanese hatchback!

The design of the car (interior and exterior) will always be regarded as significant, and as such I can imagine it will be a future classic.

They're a pretty average car to drive, but that's not really what the MK1 TT was about IMO.