clairezee

They say lightening dosent strike twice

Hi guys, just wondered if anybody has had problems with there brake pipes splitting from dodgy pipe mounting, ive had 2 corrado,s now and its happend to me twice in the space of a few months.

The first time it was a g60 with a lysholm charger very loud!, the anti vibration dampener came loose on the driveshaft, worked its way up to the brake pipe that was hanging down to low and wore through it, unfortunately i was approaching a roundabout at the time and totalled the car, thing is the car didnt show any sighns of the dampener being loose, no knocking and no vibration through the steering wheel. the police think other wise and im in crown court next month for knowingly driving a vehicle that was defective. at worst at about 70mph it felt like the balancing was out but then again it could have been. the other time happend last week after i purchased a vr6 from london and drove it home, again the brake pipe wasnt mounted properly and was able to hang down touching the driveshaft, thankfully it bled out overnight and had no brakes in the morning, taken loads of photos for the court. Its just not something you check everytime you jump into a car. i must be the unluckiest or luckiest guy alive.

Just wondered if this has happend to anybody else and in the hope your opinions or stories might help me in court next month, cos i really dont fancy going to jail. lol:bonk:

Wow... Thats a bit scary....

I have never seen such thing happen. On my corrados or any other car.

Thats a really unluky case. But it is a weird coincidence

sorry think i should have posted this in technical, and any newbies reading this please dont be put off, corrados are the best car ive ever owned!

i did read about this happening to someone on E38

it was a very low passat, the brake hose started rubbing on the drive shaft, think he hit a van at a round-a-bout

Scary stuff.... ;(

it is bad luck, but a cars are moted each year, and any kind of insecure or damaged pipes/hoses should be advised.or fail an mot depending on severity.were these genuine original brake pipes , fitted from factory or copper? been replaced it the vehicles life?

That's harsh mate, worth keeping an eye out for those of us with low cars.

Good look with madge.....

Ps - Got some as new Oem hoses spare if you need them?

I,ll let you know how i get on, the police rekon i should have been aware of the anti vibration dampener being loose, they used words like, (we cant see how you managed to drive it straight and must have sounded like a bomb going off under the car) ive read a few posts on here about this and downloaded the pages which should help if i can use in court. quite like (supercharged) knowledge, found that very helpfull and another guy had a loose avd and said he couldnt feel any vibration at any speed. thing is any noise would have been drowned out by the lysholm twin screw charger anyway and where the brake pipe is hanging down theres nothing for the avd to knock on exept the pipe which wouldnt make a noise anyway.at worst at about 70mph it felt like the balancing was out but then agan it could have been. also i think because the car had upgraded alloys, suspension, engine mounts etc i think the part being boken its affect would have been greatly diminished as the car is no longer standard. it had 8months on its mot and had been in the garage the previous week for tyres and balancing. ive managed to get a barrister and a independent vehicle examiner who i should meet next week, aint been put off mind, the vr with a 4 motion conversion is awesome! thanks for the replys guys Marc

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

y

i did read about this happening to someone on E38

it was a very low passat, the brake hose started rubbing on the drive shaft, think he hit a van at a round-a-bout

Scary stuff.... ;(

Do you have a link for that mate?

Does sound scary! Definatley a brown pants moment when the sudden realisation that you have no brakes hits you.

I can't see how this is possible though? The flexi should be run through the suspension bracket with a rubber grommet and be well out of the way. The solid lines are no where near the driveshafts?

from what i can see from the pics the police took, the brakes were tarox, upgraded by previous owner and there was no rubber gromet, the previous owner had used a cable tie to hang it up out of the way of moving parts, With the brake pipe hanging down probably a little to low the anti vibration dampener was able to rub away at it. personally i think the pipe has caused this not the avd. the copper has jumped to conclusions. the avd didnt affect the car whatsoever. but like ive said before it was 8 months into a mot, had been in the garage the previous week, its just not something you check everytime yougo for a spin

---------- Post added at 8:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:41 AM ----------

Does sound scary! Definatley a brown pants moment when the sudden realisation that you have no brakes hits you.

I can't see how this is possible though? The flexi should be run through the suspension bracket with a rubber grommet and be well out of the way. The solid lines are no where near the driveshafts?

Your life flashing before your eyes! i broke 12 ribs, its was horrific! what made it worse was when i got home from the hospital the missus had made me a homemade curry. she sat me down really carefully with cushions behind me, doting on me back and forth getting me a spoon etc i took one sip and coughed like ****, breaking them all again! lol