lewvw

3.68 Final drive

Anybody have one? Or a cheap AYL, AYN, CES or CGY gearbox?

There's a chap called 'HotGolf' on ClubGTI who usually has a good stock of crown wheels. If not, Vince at Stealth may have one. If not, yeah, you'll need a whole gearbox!

I asked vince last month if he had any crown wheels, but couldnt put his hands on any... I was lucky, I found a G60 gearbox for £50 and got hold of a spare VR6 gearbox for £60.

Got my ARP bolts for £58 and all new bearings / seals from a place Vince recommended for under £60.

its currently down at Stealth getting built up!

Lew, how quickly do you want it? I *may* have one in the summer. Thought you'd spent too much recently? :lol: ;)

Hotgolf ain't on clubgti anymore :(

Cheers for the replies guys :)

Andy, I will have first dibs on that badboy then! Yeah my credit card has taken quite a beating but you know what they say "free money's free money" :lol:

:lol: It's yours if it happens mate. If you see one in the meantime though, just get it with the free money :lol:

What would be the going price on one of these if this was bought on its own, just for future reference ?

Yeah 50 quid usually for a s/hand crown wheel. They don't really wear much at all, so used ones aren't an issue.

The benefit is improved acceleration. A standard VR6 feels heavy and lethargic, chiefly because the engine is lazy below 4000rpm and the gearing is too tall. Shortening the gearing and adding more grunt makes the Corrado feel a lot more responsive and lighter!

you will see a small reduction in top end speed, but the benefits far outweigh that, I've had this on my last 2 VR's and currently having it done to my Corrado.... really it isnt a relevant question, you wouldnt want to be doing more than 100MPH anywhere in the UK without wanting to risk loosing your licence :)

Yeah 50 quid usually for a s/hand crown wheel. They don't really wear much at all, so used ones aren't an issue.

The benefit is improved acceleration. A standard VR6 feels heavy and lethargic, chiefly because the engine is lazy below 4000rpm and the gearing is too tall. Shortening the gearing and adding more grunt makes the Corrado feel a lot more responsive and lighter!

Thanks..makes sense.

Economy takes a small hit too. Having said that, my last mpg calculation saw my R32 returning 31 mpg! 183 miles from 27 litres.

The engine is also a little busier at motorway speeds, with 4000rpm sitting at 90mph instead of 100mph.

As Pete says, these really are insignificant negatives vs the benefits. As he's done, I've used the 3.68 on all my engine conversions and will never go back to the standard final drive. I wouldn't mind a 6th though, just for those long trips up and down the country.

A good oppurtunity to throw this on whilst the box is in bits (and a quaife!) - http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/file/conversion_kit.pdf

Are the ratios the same as the VR6? I would imagine the Final is so short on the V5 to account for the MK4's tractor tyres?

That would be unusable with an R32 / VRT :lol:

V5 gearbox code EBS is as follows:

1st 3.944

2nd 3.300

3rd 1.944

4th 1.308

5th 1.029

final drive 0.837

rpm @ 6500 speeds would be: 34.3 58.2 86.5 109.9 135.1

compared to standard box: 39.9 67.7 100.6 127.3 157.1

so maybe a little bit more wheel spin, hehe

Matt

Economy takes a small hit too. Having said that, my last mpg calculation saw my R32 returning 31 mpg! 183 miles from 27 litres.

The engine is also a little busier at motorway speeds, with 4000rpm sitting at 90mph instead of 100mph.

As Pete says, these really are insignificant negatives vs the benefits. As he's done, I've used the 3.68 on all my engine conversions and will never go back to the standard final drive. I wouldn't mind a 6th though, just for those long trips up and down the country.

A good oppurtunity to throw this on whilst the box is in bits (and a quaife!) - http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/file/conversion_kit.pdf

That looks awesome, says that it pays for itself after 56k but that's only financially, the convenience/comfort benefits would count for a lot too.

Yeah but as we've discussed before, the gap from 4th to 5th will be ridiculous. You need the TDI 5th as a sixth really. But if you can live with that gap, fair enough :D

I suppose your never going to use 5th gear in anger to worry to much about The gearing gap but it might struggle some what in slow traffic.!

Like the idea of it though! Andy i will be interested how it Turns out should get reasonable fuel economy at motor way speeds.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

I suppose your never going to use 5th gear in anger to worry to much about The gearing gap but it might struggle some what in slow traffic.!

Like the idea of it though! Andy i will be interested how it Turns out should get reasonable fuel economy at motor way speeds.

It will also mean a drop to 4th to get any meaningful acceleration and the car will slow down on steep hills markedly, which is a waste of fuel. At least with the 3.68, 5th is still accelerative and not an over-drive.

Where can I find info on the best boxes to find this 3.68 FD, would assume its in more than one standard VAG box..?