Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Redline Water Wetter?

Anyone running it in their cooling system? Its supposed to improve heat transfer/reduce temperatures/lubricate water pump etc. etc.

I've just bought some - It says it can be added to 50/50 mix water/antifreeze, but is better with a reduced amount of antifreeze (says minimum 15% antifreeze should be used in road cars)

Anyone any suggestions? Might just play safe with 60/40 water/antifreeze......

Put a lower temp thermostat in (if you can get them from VW) and use 70/30 water to anti-freeze. I don't know why some people use 50/50. It's not needed in the UK and too much glycol actually reduces the water's ability to absorb heat.

If you're still struggling with temperatures, you may need to consider an external oil cooler.

K

Put a lower temp thermostat in (if you can get them from VW) and use 70/30 water to anti-freeze. I don't know why some people use 50/50. It's not needed in the UK and too much glycol actually reduces the water's ability to absorb heat.

If you're still struggling with temperatures, you may need to consider an external oil cooler.

K

Cheers for that, think i'll try it at 70/30 then. My water temps are ok, usually about 90° when on the move. Stat, rad & fan all seem to function correctly, just thought it would be useful for hot summer days.

I have thought about an oil cooler, because the oil temp is usually about 110° and i've yet to drive it in summer!

cheers

You can buy it direct from the importer too. Can't remember the site tho. A search should bring it up. I have bought it from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe race circuit.

Gavin

Cheers for that, think i'll try it at 70/30 then. My water temps are ok, usually about 90° when on the move. Stat, rad & fan all seem to function correctly, just thought it would be useful for hot summer days.

I have thought about an oil cooler, because the oil temp is usually about 110° and i've yet to drive it in summer!

cheers

You can certainly try it! Redline stuff is good.

I think the highest my oil got to last summer was 104 but that's down to my oil cooler 8)

I put some in my G60 before i went to the nurburgring, didn`t really notice any difference in temps but it didn`t overheat so i guess it may have helped. :)

Baz

I'm running 70/30 G12+ coolant and distilled water.

Noticed the temp has dropped by approx 5 degrees when driving the VR6 hard.

I read somewhere (club GTI forum i think). That this stuff is very acidic and could accelerate corrosion within your engine. Therefore it was really only designed for race engines that would be stripped down and rebuilt frequently. Anyone lese heard this?

Jim

I bought mine online, from Trackstore, they were doing the best price on Water wetter at the time.

I've not heard that I can accelerate corrosion in the engine, the product claims to inhib corrosion more effectively than antifreeze!

:?: