Portent

VW to buy the remainder of Porsche

The two companies have always been in bed with each other since the start.

Wasn't Porsche's attempt to buy VW some kind of shares profitting tactic or something, that backfired? :D

Its had no detrimental affect on Lamborghini, so I don't think it will make a huge difference. It stabilises the company and improves QC I think, so Win Win! (Not that there was ever any question of quality within Porsche tbf.)

Some of you may know I have a vested interest in this.

The official line is with component sharing, product line sharing (both past and future) and vastly improved economies of scale. this can only be a good thing as the VAG group aim their sights on the likes of Toyota.

Historically, 914 was a joint VW Porsche product, and currently, Touareg/Cayenne are essentially the same shell.

Bentley, Lambo, DAF and Skoda have all prospered whislt remaining individual under VW ownership. so Honestly I cannot see it as a bad thing.

Yes in 2009 Porsche played the bankers at their own game and tried to mount a take over, but the legalities got in the way, and the SE Works council stopped any move. Regrettably, the finance crash happened and Porsche (much like any other car company) suffered as a result and the result is what happened last week.

FYI, Since the initial takeover attempt, the VW takeover was always going to happen. It was planned for 2014. but as we agreed a rate sooner, then the economies of scale, and benefits mentioned above can start that much sooner.

Will be a positive for Porsche IMO, they could do with having some of VWs customer service skills and reliability....

Interesting side note:

Whilst in Germany takeovers like this one are taxable, VW avoided the tax, much to the governments chagrin, by undertaking a share-swap. Now this normally means you give me the same amount in shres that I've given you.

To take over a company, however, VW gave Porsche 1 share, and the rest was full payment of what they would have had to pay for the takeover anyway, and because the German law does not stipulate how many shares have to be involved in a share swap, this move is legal, and has saved VW millions in taxes.

Tempest

Will be a positive for Porsche IMO, they could do with having some of VWs customer service skills and reliability....

Interesting take on things. I can understand the concern about reliability, especially with recent press coverage of things like Rear Main Oil Seals, and Intermediate Shaft Bearing Failures, but in general terms of reliability there are 2/3 of all Porsche ever made still on the road. Other manufactures would be falling over themselves to attain such a figure.

As for Customer Service Skills , My own experience with VW flies in the face of your comment, but that aside, seeing as this is a management group buy out and should not affect how individual importers run their day to day business. Also the fact that individual importers are responsible for their own in house departments such as Customer Service, I don't see there being any change to how this is managed.

Quality checks, Investment, Product line sharing, Cheaper component purchase, and better buyer power with component suppliers, all these however are a given for areas that will improve.

As you say, I believe that the majority of VW Dealerships here are now Franchises, therefore Customer Services will vary from place to place.

As you say, I believe that the majority of VW Dealerships here are now Franchises, therefore Customer Services will vary from place to place.

I think the point of my original message has been lost somewhat.

Regardless who owns Porsche, the operation of the dealerships is unlikely to change, as Porsche the brand will be left to run things as long as they sell the allocated number of units.

Therefore this feeling that it will become very "VW" in its service delivery is very far from the truth. As with Bentley, and Lambo, the only real changes is to the quality of the product as a result of better supply chain and economies of scale.

As far as I was aware VW franchised dealerships are shyte at customer service anyway. Why would Porsche want to emulate that?