KIPVW

1.8 16v Exhaust dilemma :/

Hi All,

Well need an exhaust for the Nugget and asked my tps guy for availability and only the middle box is available to order from heritage classic parts. The back box is now obsolete. The middle box was going to cost £370.00

So i'm thinking much as i'd love to go genuine on it i cant see the point paying big bucks for a middle section if i cant get a rear/back box section at all :(

So looks like a complete change of plan.

Options i've looked at are either a Jetex stainless system or a supersprint, i'm curious to know how the supersprint sounds though as it has what looks like a straight through mid section where as the Jetex has 3 seperate silencers and i know that would be a quieter sound which is what i'm after.

Anyone have good and bad reports on both of these? as i think fit & build quality are just as important as sound too.

I know there's an exhaust thread but with so many post's it's hard to get a solid answer.

Thanks in advance. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

is it the box they call the suitcase,if it is ive got a very good early hook hanger type,ive also got a back box.infact ive got two suitcase boxes

I'd be tempted to buy a mild steel pattern box kip, I've not heard a stainless system on the 16v that doesn't boom or resonate at some speeds, it's party due to the hardness of stainless but a lot to do with not having the big centre suitcase silencer. The mild steel suitcase really does quieten the whole system down.

is it the box they call the suitcase,if it is ive got a very good early hook hanger type,ive also got a back box.infact ive got two suitcase boxes

Yeah it's the suitcase type with early hook fitting i was going to get but not sure to bother or not if the back box is unavailable hence why was looking at a different set up.

You selling what you have then? if so are the bits genuine or aftermarket? some pics would be great if you are. send them direct to [email protected] if thats easier.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 7:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:33 AM ----------

I'd be tempted to buy a mild steel pattern box kip, I've not heard a stainless system on the 16v that doesn't boom or resonate at some speeds, it's party due to the hardness of stainless but a lot to do with not having the big centre suitcase silencer. The mild steel suitcase really does quieten the whole system down.

I know what you mean David, just locating a good mid section seems to be a problem, gave my chassis number to euro car parts and it came with the bar fitting instead :( I looked at converting the hangers to bar type on the floor itself but would mean a little cutting of the chassis and i dont want to do that.

Hmmmmm

i would say the suitcase box is genuine,the backbox it aftermarket i will try and get some pics its a challange to get to the back of my shed tho

I actually have a new non genuine back box so if you have a pic of the suitcase that'd be great.

Thanks carrots

One option is to buy a later type exhaust and change the hangers on it so it'll fit to the car.. i.e. remove your old hangers off the old exhaust and weld them onto the new one! I have heard of people doing this before to get round this problem.

Guess that's another option jim. A, bit of a faff but do able.

hi tried to send a pic not sure if you have had it will try again tommorow night,got to go out

Hi Carrots, yes got the pic but it's a massive close up lol! can you send one of the whole box please, and are you selling it then?

Kip :)

---------- Post added at 7:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:49 PM ----------

I know if a cheap (but good) Magnex for sale !

Is it yours? and is it early hook fittings?

Hi Richard, just got the pics thanks! let me know how much you want for it. ;)

Mines the later one !

(sorry I missed your earlier post)

Ah i think i saw it for sale a while back and wished it was for an early car, you tried ebay? surprised you haven't sold that already.

All sorted now and big thanks to Carrots for supplying me with a genuine middle box :) just gotta fit it now.

Cheers Richard. ;)

just had a complete exhaust fitted onto my valver, just shy of £300 by longlife they did a real good job and it got a lifetime guarentee

just had a complete exhaust fitted onto my valver, just shy of £300 by longlife they did a real good job and it got a lifetime guarentee

That's not bad buddy, where was that? i understand they have a few agents around the country but isn't one close to me otherwise may have looked at this option.