dragon green

KW help !!!

Noticed a slight banging, more of a tap tap, coming from nsr,found the plastic cap has come loose and causing the irritating noise!

But most alarmingly,a lot of oily grease all over the spring and shock,

Can I buy one on its own ? Or what do I need to rebuild it ?

Car is a my only form of transport !

56850bdb-8afe-abe7.jpg

56850bdb-8b1a-b6db.jpg

I believe you can buy the units on their own. from what KW UK have told me it'll be quarter of the price of a new set - whatever that is.

As for rebuilding, i think it depends on what version you have. From what ive read on here v1's arent rebuildable (i have v1s). But you'd need to get in touch with KW Germany for confirmation. Also they'll want you to give them the number on that particular unit and they'll also want you to send them it. Which is a PITA i know. Though KW UK also said its unusual for one of their units to fail.

I've found a company that will sell me one, they are going to ring me tomorrow on the price !

I've got KW1s, and looking at all the exploded pics on the net ,they look rebuild able !

I will let you know how I get on !

Thanks Critical Mass

That black cap on mine isn't fixed to anything but the bumpstop, and it slides up and down the rod bit of shock.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

2012-04-07111129.jpg

With bits removed, looks like some screws there you can undo

Dampers should only be replaced in pairs.

If there is no threaded collar at the top of the damper, it's not rebuildable. Cheaper units have the top cap welded in place.

Put the new rear one on

5284d771-0f8d-ac24.jpg

Stripped the old one,pics don't do it justice,really an oily mess,considering I cleaned it !

56850b53-1024-184a.jpg

Top "washer" just screws in,and doesn't seem to have any seal !

Actual damper is very jerky in operation and is certainly to blame !

56850b53-10ad-be9f.jpg

56850b53-10c0-8d19.jpg

New one cost me £196, took about a week to come from Germany,I ordered it through a company called K300,very helpful,not sure if I will rebuild the old one,can't believe I only got 20k out of them, my old AVO's I got over 100k

Hoping this is just an isolated case !