ice_killer

2 Differnt sunroof mechanisms

hey guys

I went to my dealer today, to get me a sunroof repair kit

But, apparently there are 2 different sunroofs. how can i tell witch 1 i have my C is from may 93

There is only one mechanism, the difference is only in the motor and plate with bolt pattern, early corrado has narrower bolt pattern and late, yours, has wider bolt pattern. All the linkage and parts inside are this same. I've taken few of them on parts to fix and never spotted any difference between them. Most of other vw sunroofs is using same parts as corrado apart linkages. Linkage mechanism are same in corrado and passat B3 with metal sunroof.

Ok, thank you. what i dont understand is that the dealer claims there are 2 different sun roofs.

whit the plate whit bolt patern you mean, the frame?

whit the plate whit bolt patern you mean, the frame?

no, there is small plastic plate in the middle of sunroof frame where you bolt on sunroof motor, you can take it off and swap it over to have wider or narrower bolt pattern, some of then have 2 patterns so you can swap early motor with new one.

Sunroof frame is same in most of the vw cars, mk3, passat, seat ibiza, toledo, all of them and many more has same sunroof frame

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

botom of the picture in the middle square black thing, that's what I'm taking about

sunroof.JPG

Yes, if your sunroof tilts but not slide in 99,9% one of the mechanism attached to cable has snapped, unfortunately mechanism and cable comes as a one piece. There is another part on the end of cable which is almost never broken.

OK, thank you. ill visit Monday the dealer again :).

i already picked up the grease for the sunroof from the dealer. What an expensive stuff :-(

The cassette in which the mechanism fits differs between the early and late cars, with the result that you can use an early motor on a late cassette, but not the other way round.

Additionally, if you start looking at glass roof cassettes, you'll see that the spacing pegs that hold the cassette away from the inside of the car's roof are longer.

The mechanisms for Corrado roofs are all the same though, and they're the same as that used in all the other VW steel roofs from the same period (the glass roofs use a similar, but non-identical mechanism).

If it tilts but doesn't slide, the casting on the end of one per both of the drive cables that run around the inside of the cassette and moves the mechanism has snapped. You will need a new cable or two, and probably a new mechanism (as play in the mechanism caused it to jam and that's what snapped the casting).

The warning sign that you need to replace the mechanism is scratches on the passenger side of the roof panel.

The cause is wear, generally made worse by poor lubrication.

Yes, I do own an anorak. Why do you ask???

i have a problem with my sunroof motor cover, in no way it want to fit.

it looks like the motor is to thick/high ? i have the 6 pin motor in a 1994

are there more variations of this 6 pin motor?