petemcr

Weitec Coilovers not sat right

Hi guys

I've just got some Weitec coilovers and fitted them, they were sold as ex display but still new and everything, but since fitting they're really not sat right, when i'm driving it pulls to the left, then when you go round a corner and get full right lock on and straight up it starts to pull to the right, then you go round a left corner and it goes back pulling to the left.

So I was speaking to the mechanic who fitted them for me and we'd both noticed they didn't have any caps on the top of the coilovers, could this be what's causing it?

I noticed this had happened to the top mounts, as it stands the springs are sat in the top mount cups

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68727[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68728[/ATTACH]

Here's a pic of the coilovers, as you can see the fronts have no top caps and I remember my MK2 Golf ones having them

185894_10151972139590433_2065445386_n.jpg

Um... so you fitted them without the spring plates at the top??!?

Picture of how they should look:

hicongtncoilovers.jpg

rubber bits look upside down to me, but i said that before and was wrong :lol:

maybe i just like saying it

I have Weitec GTs too and the caps over the top mounts stand proud also. I don't think I have any parts missing though and I don't have handling problems.

I assumed it was just a quirk of coil overs but should they fit snugly like original shocks?

Please dont drive the car anymore, you cant drive it without the top spring plate being there.

Ditto! Don't take yoru car anywhere near a road until you get the suspension properly assembled....it could be the cause of a major accident!

Your top mounts and the front springs will probably be damaged after driving without top-plates! Also, your front springs look like the wrong type from your photo!

You will need the top-plates as shown in Jim's photo and a threaded bush (one of these http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=781) on each side.

I wouldn't trust the mechanic who fitted them again either!!!!!

The coilovers should have a convex top plate moulded to fit into the top mount bush. Take them back for a refund.

it does have a plate on the top, but it's not the one that comes with the Weitec, it's just one off the old damper setup, I'm going to go in the place tomorrow and have a word with them

I would consider getting a new mechanic as well!

+ 1

I am utterly amazed and bewildered by the suspension bodges I see on this forum. Strut > Spring > Spring cap > Bearing > Rubber Mount > Top cap > Nut.

How hard can it be? :scratch:

I'm sure I mentioned it but it does have the spring cap on there, it's just the one off the original strut. I emailed over to Weitec and they said that kit doesn't come with a convex cap and the original spring cap will work fine so it's not that causing the issue

The car's original top cap is a lot bigger so won't work at all. Weitec are talking utter b0llocks. ALL coilovers come with a top cap.

Are they definitely coilovers and not just a spring + shock package? Coilovers should have the threaded body to adjust height. I suspect you have the basic spring + package in which you can just resuse the existing spring plate and those are just worn mounts.

Just seen the pic on the first page. Looks like the rears are normal 2.5" springs but the fronts have a weird spring I've not seen before, but looks standard top cap sized, so yes, in that case, they wouldn't supply a top cap! The top mounts still don't look right though.