Jim Bowen

Replacing Main water pump, VR6

How do i undo the water pump without the pulley spinning around.

Bentley manual mentions a VAG tool for it, is there a DIY way?

Do you mean to take the pulley off? I clamped the pulley in a vice with wooden blocks between the metal. It did move a little under high tension, but managed to get the securing bolts out without too much bother. :o

Think i managed to get mine off just by using two allen keys, one to brace against the other, and working around getting them loose

Is the pump off the car? Get an old spare drive belt, put it round the pulley then use a vice to tighten the belt round the pulley. Should hold it enough to loosen the bolts. Works for me.

Nah, its all still on the car, will give it a go and see how i get on.

thanks

read a guide on VW vortex that says to put something through a spare hole so the pulley can't turn

long screwdriver or similar to poke through one of the holes in the pulley. if i can do it.... anyone can.

and i have :-)

Done it now, found it quite a pig of a job, not got any bills to show its been changed before.

Rounded the bolts for the pulley so got to replace them. And the only way i got water pump out of block was to remove crack pipe and hit it the water pump from that side.

---------- Post added at 9:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:55 PM ----------

Got a question.

The aux belt i took off was ribbed both sides, the one i have to put back on is flat on one side?

I have just removed aircon so know the belt is different, but thought it would only be shorter

Jim are you going VW to get the bolts for the water pump? How did you get on with the oil cooler hoses?

Jim are you going VW to get the bolts for the water pump? How did you get on with the oil cooler hoses?

I hoping i can avoid VW and find some bolts at a local shop, will find out tomorrow.

As for the pipes, i rang Roose and he wasn't much help, so tried revolution who you recommended and they had them, but came to £33 instead of £23.05, guy was a bit bonkers imo, making things up :lol:

Should get them tomorrow or thursday though :)

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

my new none aircon belt for my 24v is the same, only ribbed one side..

I haven't looked at how it fits yet, but maybe its correct then.

I got it off Pat_Mcrotch so quite confident he got the right thing.

Not revolution bud I bought my main kit from them but I bought the 2 oil cooler ones from merlin motorsport ;)

I am going to change my water pump when I do the hoses

Thought it might be a good idea to buy new bolts just in case

Oh balls! I just looked back at me reply in your thread I didn't say merlin just the part numbers!

Sorry I am a plank!

Might fit this belt and keep an eye on it then :)

Yeah, thought i wasn't going to get them bolts off when they all started rounding, but mangled a different shape tool in there and managed to undo them. Just been and found some stainless ones to replace them.

Dude would you buy a batch of them & sell some to me?? Mine are crud & although I have bought some more VAG ones id rather upgrade if im jacking the engine back up....

I can go back and get some more if you want, think i got charged about £1 a bolt though, was about £8 for some glue and the three bolts

nah dont worry mate.... It was just incase you were going to get them. If you have them then dont worry. cheers though :D