Wendy

Dehumidifiers

I know several people have dehumidifiers for use in their garage.

I am thinking of getting one, any pointers, price, size, specification etc - oh and where best purchased from

Cheers

Wendy

How big is your garage and how drafty is it?

I used this one - http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/p/1202023/eco-air-dd322fw-classic-10l-per-day-desiccant-dehumidifier.html

I say 'used' because it's not really man enough for my double garage as it's too drafty.

I ran it overnight on the cheaper electricity rate and it easily filled the built-in bucket, but there's a tube outlet on the back for draining into a larger external vessel instead, which I ended up doing in the end.

Despite all that water absorbed from the air, the garage was still humid and exposed metal still surface rusted.

I don't bother dehumidifying now but I spoke to my Dad's architect friend and he recommended insulating the garage instead, which isn't as expensive or tedious as it sounds. Just need to fit double glazed windows (pretty cheap spec ones, if the garage has windows) and vapour barrier the walls and floor. Then a small dehumid' like the one above would be more effective.

If not, you'll need a big industrial sized dehumid' and they're not cheap!

Best bet is a Carcoon or similar.

As Kev says to properly dehumidfy a garage it really needs to be sealed against internal drafts etc.

I heard laying a carpet down may help absorb some dampness? I've done that as we had loads left over from a change. Makes the car feel pampered anyway!

Carcoons are excellent, I've got the Rocco stored in one of their outdoor models, as my garage is a bit too thin for the door openings. Cost me about £400 I think, and only costs about £20 per year to run it. Uses 120mm PC fans, and keeps the battery topped up at the same time.

Heat it rather than attempt to remove moisture from the air, that coupled with insulation as others have said and make sure moisture isn't leaking in from gutters, downpipes or even through the brick, single skinned brick can let a fair amount of water through in heavy rain.

You just need a low wattage space heater, like those used to prevent frost in greenhouses, dehumidifiers are a waste of money if you're not actually solving the moisture ingress problem, fine for drying out building work or from flood damage, but not as a long term solution.

Anything really from wickes + B&Q. I have one on my boat (45 foot) that i run on a timer through out the winter 4 hours a day (to save power) and as the interior is wood it doesent dry the wood out.

Things to look for are size of water collector (will save you from emptying it too often or i guess you could do as it do have a pipe from the back and drain it into a large container (i drain mine straight into the sea).

I also have a couple of green house heater bought from screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/winterwarm-tubular-wall-hung-heater-120w/71539 these just come with a cable and you wire a plug on them.

both the above i have on timers and thermostatic controllers.

Edited by delfinis38