Dan_Storm

Coil pack & HT Lead Reliability

I had the displeasure of being towed home last night by the AA :(

I was on the M25, the engine was running great until it decided to run on 4/5 cylinders. The problem seemed to cure itself once the engine had cooled down a bit - I suspect the heat was affecting the resistance in the coil pack. The AA engineer also suspected the coil pack.

I have a spare coil pack which works but misses slightly when it is cold & wet. So, this morning I set about swapping it over to see if that was the cause of my issues. The spare is a known good (although on its last legs), so the idea was if the engine ran ok once i swapped the coil I would buy a new coil pack. I tried removing the first HT lead from the coil pack and the end of the lead broke! I tried the second one and the plastic on the coil snapped!

I'm pretty sure the coil pack and leads are both made by Beru. The coil pack is only a couple of years old and the leads are about 5 years old. The original VW coil pack and leads supplied lasted 12-15 years!

So, my question is are the genuine VW coil packs and leads any better in terms of quality? Does anyone know the OEM supplier for the parts? If Beru are the OEM supplier then I'll just buy the cheaper Beru branded parts elsewhere and save the cash.

I know some folk have fitted alternate coil packs from Ford, Vauxhal, Saab, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route....

It doesn't seem many people fit the genuine VW coils and leads because of the cost....so I'm just trying to weigh up if there is an advantage or not.

Edited by Dan_Storm

I was in VW last Friday getting some bits for my 2.0 valver (refurbing ignition) and apparently VW no longer supply coil packs! Not sure whether this was just coil packs for the 1.8 / 2.0 valver or if this included the VR, I'll ask when I'm next there picking up some bits

Looking for OE coils too any other suggestions?

I cant comment on its longevity, but ive recently purchased Beru one for £145 delivered, I believe VW still do them as they quoted me £344 for one when i was looking

Oh and the Beru looked better made then the one it replaced (not sure if it was original or not)

Edited by Southie

I got a quote from TPS for genuine items. The coil pack was around £280 and the HT leads around £150! I like to still to OEM parts where possible, but can't justify spending that much.

I see Eurocarparts do a Bremi coilpack, not sure if there is much difference between the Beru and Bremi?

So, my question is are the genuine VW coil packs and leads any better in terms of quality?

An unequivocal, YES!

Original coilpacks are a TEMIC (amplifier) and Beru (coils) collaboration. The original leads are the best quality I've seen. The 50 quid pattern leads just fall apart. Don't fall into the trap in thinking that an aftermarket Beru coilpack is the same quality as the OE part, because it isn't!

People often complain about the cost of OE parts and in some cases, it's justified, but if you don't want to be left stranded on long journeys, it has to be OE. And it goes without saying, prevention is better than the cure, so regular maintenance / checks is key and doubley important on Corrados where a lot of parts are being made obsolete.

It doesn't seem many people fit the genuine VW coils and leads because of the cost....so I'm just trying to weigh up if there is an advantage or not.

They are inarguably expensive for sure. People just have to balance the cost versus the car's useage. As mine is a daily and also used for holiday trips up and down the country, I don't trust pattern parts. I have been victim of their shoddiness all too many times.

I know some folk have fitted alternate coil packs from Ford, Vauxhal, Saab, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route....

They may not look OE but the coilpacks are a known weakness on this car, so it can make sense to upgrade to a better one in some cases.

People often complain about the cost of OE parts and in some cases, it's justified, but if you don't want to be left stranded on long journeys, it has to be OE. And it goes without saying, prevention is better than the cure, so regular maintenance / checks is key and doubley important on Corrados where a lot of parts are being made obsolete.

I'd have to agree Kev. Only 3 parts on my car are non-genuine. 1 failed last night and the second broke in my hands this morning!

Thanks for the info. OEM sounds the way to go, I will have to have a think over the cost.

The original leads and coilpack are crazy money. Something like £125 for the leads and over £250 for the coilpack last time I checked. Madness. But certainly with the leads, if you compare the quality to pattern ones, there's no comparison :D

Typical example: VW glue both ends on to moisture seal them and provide strength and the wire quality is much better. Not that I would recommend it, but the bond is strong enough to be able pull the spark plug end off without the tool (did it a few times when I couldn't be bothered to dig the tool out). If you tried that with a pattern lead, the plug end would stay on the plug and the wire would pull out :lol: