s1oww

Earth wire on the bonnet, what's it for?

I've just changed my bonnet on my vr6 and noticed there's an earth with that's broken. It mustn't have been connected for a while.

What does it do and does it need re connecting ?

Also do corrados have different size washer jets? My old ones and too big for my new bonnet. The bonnet is a genuine vr one, but not even the plugs from the heated part fit through.

I've just changed my bonnet on my vr6 and noticed there's an earth with that's broken. It mustn't have been connected for a while.

What does it do and does it need re connecting ?

As far as I know, all it's for is to help the radio reception (reduce noise?).. :-)

I think it has something to do with radio interference suppression - probably not so serious with our roof mounted aerials and FM or DAB radios, but years ago AM radios and wing-mounted aerials were notoriousl for engine related interference.

Best wishes

RB

It's to keep ignition coil related noise isolated under the bonnet. Coils charging / discharing gives off an RF noise I believe, which some TV and Radio tuners *could* pick up, but since most people are now on Digital TV and most Radios have noise suppression built in now, that strap can be left off. I've never seen a modern car with such a strap ;)

Where exactly is this earth in the engine bay ? Was going to replace my aerial but should probably have a look at this first. Pic would be great.

Where exactly is this earth in the engine bay ? Was going to replace my aerial but should probably have a look at this first. Pic would be great.

Think its next to your bonnet hinge on the passenger side. Black strap will be obvious if you have it. It will be screwed on at either end.

Edited by VWVW

Mine broke and caused me a whole world of issues on my 16v.........dash lights would go mad and I would get crazy temps etc showing............changed the broken boner earth strap and all was well with the world. Need to check on my vr now though as radio reception is painfull!