Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

No power - feels like I'm towing a house!

Basicly the C is giving me sh1t again... this problem started a while ago but was intermittent before and now is a full time pain in the ar$e!

Have basicly lost a lot power and it's very sluggish under 3K, when the revs drop you can hear a tinny pop in the center bow as though it's backfiring slightly and my MPG is down to around the 21 mark :shock: The engine is also sounding very tappety and it feels like it's hunting slightly when just on the power it also missfires (jerkily pulls back) between 5 & 6K in the rev range :roll:

Someone suggested that it might be something to do with the lamda probe i.e. over / under fueling (probably not under fueling with my MPG)? Or I was wondering, might it have anything to do with the HT leads?

Any suggestions would be excelent as I really need to get a good idea what to be changing and what order to start in by the weekend....

Thanks a lot guys

Phil

Definately sounds sensor or electrically related...

Are you noticing lots of black smoke or anything from out the exhaust at all?

Hi Jim

I cleaned the black stuff off the lower edge of the pipe last time I cleaned it (far to anal over cleaning :oops: ) and after four days use this is black again... would have thought thats faily normal though. Other than that I haven't noticed smoke and it doesn't seem to burning oil... :?

P

Well it definately sounds like a sensor of some kind - especially the tapetty problem.. could that possibly be the engine pinking as the ECU being given the wrong information has resulted in it incorrectly adjusting the fueling / timing or whatever it does?

I really wish I could give you some useful advice.. whenever I suggest something, i'm normally politely reminded by people who know what they are talking about, that I am talking out of my backside :)

Any advice is good advice or at least a starting point :wink: I think you're right, it's just a matter of working out which sensors can cause this and start with the cheepest first... thanks Jim :)

Right then next question.... how many sensors can I expect to cahnge before I've replaced all of them and still have a problem :lol:

There is one which is like a loop that goes around one of your HT leads on the 2.0 16v, and it used to detect knock in the engine. Problem is most HT leads don't allow for you to physically remove one end of the plug to thread through this loop (as it is only the width of a HT lead anyway - this was the case with the Hella leads I got from Euro Car Parts when I did them on my 2.0 16v) - i'm actually not quite sure what you are supposed to do to resolve this? I assume genuine VW leads have a system in place for you to work around this.

Thought you might wanna know about that before you got stuck into this little mission.

Got the same issue with my VR Phil, so it must just be a "VW" thing!

I'm not familiar with the 2.0 valver engine's electronics but it might be MAF (if they have them?) or mixture related.

I don't know if it's related or not but I was forever having to retune my KR valver engines for summer and winter use as they just lose the tune so easily and regularly. I know how to set a KR up but not a 2.0 I'm afraid :cry:

Let me know what you find out as it might be the same thing happening to my VR.

K

you've popped a boost pipe phil :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, i know you have a vlver, but my car felt like it was towing a house etc, and that was my propblem, had tappety noise as well etc, you sure you aint gotta G60 :lol:

good luck findin it too

...sorry, i know you have a vlver, but my...

There it is Dazzy :p :wink: :lol:

Thanks for your help chaps...

I found this problem a while back with the HT leads when I too got a anti nock set, took 'em back but haven't got round to getting the right ones - but I think I might have to now :roll: still, so long as they help it's worth it.

Having had a chat with Aposegil and G60bv this evening I'm thinking this could be a bad signal from a faulty lamda as it's def over fueling - hence holding back... I'll let you know Kev

So these 2 combined should make Phil a happy boy - fingers crossed :D

There is one which is like a loop that goes around one of your HT leads on the 2.0 16v, and it used to detect knock in the engine.

Jim thats not the knock sensor. The knock sensor is bolted to the block below the alternator. There may even be 2 fitted. There was on my 9A engined Passat.

Thats some kind of pickup for the ECU. Not 100% what it does tho. I have the 9A manual in my car, if I remember I'll have a look and tell all.

The knock sensors should be done up to 15lbs ft, which isn't much. If they are too tight they become really sensitive and pull the timing to stop the knocking. This will make teh car feel flat.

Personally I feel it is something else. Possibly a throttle switch? Or as has been suggested the lambda probe. I'd check the wiring to the probe before replacing it. IMHO they seem to be quite resilient, except to leaded petrol.

Also if there is one, make sure the vacuum pipe to the ECU is ok. Any leaks in that and the ECU cannot see the load change with throttle position. The timing becomes fixed.

Gavin

Hm.. I was always told that was a knock sensor.

Once again, my information is wrong :)

Coulnd´t this be just about the spark plugs? :?:

It seems an ignition problem to me... :roll:

I had some simliar problems like this one in other cars because of a faulty spark plug! :shock:

Spark plugs are under 6 months old... dizzy cap is also new and ht lead from coil to dizzy is new but haven't done the main leads... for above reason.