dragon green

Potential ban on car modifying NOW WITH PETITION

A little perspective on this...

Any one remember about a year ago all the fuss over Europe imposing rules about fuel types (I believe it's e10 as widely used on the continent) and all the issues it would cause?

Was that just a storm in a teacup?

I didn't hear anything after a month or so of it surfacing

A little perspective on this...

Any one remember about a year ago all the fuss over Europe imposing rules about fuel types (I believe it's e10 as widely used on the continent) and all the issues it would cause?

Was that just a storm in a teacup?

I didn't hear anything after a month or so of it surfacing

True, this sorta thing happens all the time. If approved could take months even years before we see it on the ground - Doesn't mean it's not going to happen. The threat alone is enough.

Its just very scary stuff, lets hope it is all talk, it could potentially change things for ever.

I never sign these sorts of petitions because I'm pretty sure they are ignored. But just in case it does some good I've signed it.

A petition against a proposal that aims to improve road worthiness, save lives and doesn't penalise modifications, it's absurd.

A petition against a proposal that aims to improve road worthiness, save lives and doesn't penalise modifications, it's absurd.

You obviously haven't read the complete proposal !

lol i've read the entire proposal and all the annexes, i make a point of doing that before spouting about stuff!

There's nothing in it that worry's me at all, its actually pretty commendable.

And how would they test for modified ECUs? Standalones I get, but mapped will be almost impossible without dismantling it. As long as emissions are within parameters (Tested on MOT anyway) then they wont know. You general back street garage is never gonna get the equipment to read every map are they!

I doubt it will happen because a lot of car makers would get fined for their ECUs being so easy to 'crack' in the first place. Car makers with as much power as the VW group should really tell Brussels where to go. I think a few years ago, Porsche/VWG and BMW warned Brussels that they would take their manufacturing out of Europe if they continue to strangle their cars with ridiculous emissions targets. The loss of jobs would and income would have a big impact across all of Europe because other car makers would follow suit, such as Toyota's plants in Czech Republic, plants in the UK, all of the German plants, Spain, Greece etc etc. It could potentially be disastrous. And all because of some narrow minded toss pot in Brussels can't see the bigger picture. Well he's been poking the wasps nests for years and getting away with it. This time he has kicked the Hornet's nest and we won't go down without a fight.

lol i've read the entire proposal and all the annexes, i make a point of doing that before spouting about stuff!

There's nothing in it that worry's me at all, its actually pretty commendable.

I've just read it myself and agree totally, it's all about improving the standards and frequency of vehicle MOT's, test centres and inspections across europe, nothing to do with banning car modifications,

as far as I can see the UK MOT system meets or exceeds all this anyway.

I think there's a lot of scaremongering going on here.

I still think it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather we all made a huge fuss now and ensure that our government knows that the car enthusiast community is not willing to be bullied by bureaucrats in Europe than wait until its too late and laws have been passed. If we don't, new rules and regulations will creep in over time until we live in a world where we can't do anything legally.

I still think it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather we all made a huge fuss now and ensure that our government knows that the car enthusiast community is not willing to be bullied by bureaucrats in Europe than wait until its too late and laws have been passed. If we don't, new rules and regulations will creep in over time until we live in a world where we can't do anything legally.

or another way of looking at it, people who work with machinery, construction, vehicles etc now have training, safety equipment, safety standards and inspections, rented houses have to have annual gas and electrical tests, etc...

alternatively, you could take your chances on Indian roads or construct high rise buildings on bamboo scaffolding in China?

it might not be common opinion, but the EU has actually improved safety for all of us in many areas with a lot of safety legislation, plenty home grown too, and most of it is pretty sensible stuff.

a few 'car' examples:

catalytic convertors

indicator side repeaters

steadily improving emissions and particulates limits

forthcoming ABS and ESP requirements

I've just read it myself and agree totally, it's all about improving the standards and frequency of vehicle MOT's, test centres and inspections across europe, nothing to do with banning car modifications,

Yup, but in the UK our annual inspections are already more frequent than the 'EU standard'. So technically we are already safer than other parts of Europe by default :D

The comparison between western countries and India/China isn't a very good one though. It's not as if we don't have regs in place already. We do have regs and they are in general very good. But I feel that the new regs are too ambiguous and not needed anyway.

So rather than new regs in place of none (India / China), it is a case of new strict regs in place of already very good regs.

Can someone actually point out to me on which page the 'concerning bit' ie the bit that says 'no modifications allowed' or words to the same effect are?

I've skimmed through the report and as David Wort says, it all seems like good logical stuff, but not much different to what we already have, but many other EU states don't have.

Thank you Dave :)

As soon as brembo, kone, kw, h&r, halfords etc start campaigning so will I...

hi all i cant see it happening straight away the goverment will loose to much ££££ but i can see stricter mot standards for modded cars and yes it will cost more money untill they finacially choke us till we have to stop over time (jokers) :cuckoo: just like serving soliders pay freeze for 3 years while the prices off every think goes up

I presume this also has threatened the bikers too and their silencer swapping. my dad and his two wheeled mates have all already written to their MEP's earlier in the year.

like its being said already, really can't see uk going with it for now and politically no-one wants to lose more voters than they already are doing.