BILLCOR

30k Miler VR

I tell you what, If i lived in the UK, I would be there in a flash to have a look, and if it was good, I'd have my greasy paws on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An average car on average miles is in motion 3% of its life, and 18 year old car with 30k has moved a lot less than that, i would want to know where has it been sitting for all those years ?

These threads come up from time to time :)

Given a choice between two cars with low and high mileage I'd take the low mileage if the condition and history was on a par. But condition and history is more important than simple low mileage.

Anyone buying an enthusiast/classic car without coming to the various owner forums for research and advice, and simply buying from PH, AT or eB, is not buying wisely.

An average car on average miles is in motion 3% of its life, and 18 year old car with 30k has moved a lot less than that, i would want to know where has it been sitting for all those years ?

Well - exactly. It works out at 1,700 miles a year for petes sake. I did that sort of mileage on a single drive to Scotland this year in my Corrado! I had to extend my limited mileage policy and I think I even exceeded my limit just because I enjoyed using it so much. And it's not even a daily! :)

I once bought a genuine low mileage *cough* Volvo 360 when I was young and not so clued up on cars. Looked perfect, body was immaculate, interior mint. Scrapped it 3 months later after the jack when through the floor when changing the wheels round.

Maybe it's because i'm too tight to pay top dollar for a low miler, but most cars I've ever had were high milers and never gave me any grief. 197k on mine, 140k on partners wee Polo 1.4TDi and runs like a dream, 170k on a Mk3 VR, 230k on an old Merc 190. My motto is roughly - if you get in it and it doesn't drive like a dog or look like a dog despite high mileage, it just might not be a dog. :)

C'mon the high milers!

Edited by jamiehamy
can't spell

Indeed. My Mum had a Toyota Corrolla from new way back in 1994. When it eventually died, it only had 54K on it. Dear old Mum never lifted the bonnet on it once :D

Before that she had a 1989 Golf 1.6 CL, which was an ex rep car and had covered 90K miles in it's first year, so we got it cheap. She had it 3 years, then I had it. I sold it with 160 odd K back in 1995ish and I still see it driving around now :D Not one single problem with that Golf and it never used a drop of oil.

So irrespective of mileage, maintenance and treatment are key. Low milers are less likely to have done long journeys. Short journeys are the killer of any car as the underbody never fully dries out and the engine doens't get hot enough to burn off the water (condensation) that sits in the sump. As we know, water + exhaust gases = acidic.

What is it they say about fools and their money :p

Doesn't change the fact that low mileage cars are worth more money.. ;)

Yeah, look around. This is the UK, where we elect idiots to screw things up, give all our money to bankers, who repay us by crashing the economy and "minimising" their tax through various government-sponsored schemes.

We are fools, and they have our ****ing money.

It's about time we were rioting on the streets again.

Well think my 96k VR is easily worth 15 Grand now with all the recent work so please form an orderly que :)

Well think my 96k VR is easily worth 15 Grand now with all the recent work so please form an orderly que :)

In a few years time, I don't think that'll be too far fetched at all for your car mate ;) How many Corrados out there are in 'as new' condition like yours? Can't think of many! I bet yours is in far better condition with 3 x the mileage of this one.