Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Vibrations mmm......

Just got my car back after head rebuild/new clutch/re-chip. Its running extremely, smooth at low rpm, temendous pick up also. However, when I sink the gas and the rpm approaches 4k and past I'm getting rather bad vibrations through the car. Nothing to do with speed just engine rpm!! Its got me well confused. Goes like a rocket but feels like its going to shake itself apart.

The gearbox mount was replaced during the work and I did the front one about two months ago so unless the otherone has gone pear shaped I'm sure they are not to blame. The clutch it very jerky/bity when engaging as its not bedded in yet but surely it cant be cause the problem?!??!

Really quite gutted as the car is excellent otherwise. Might check the tightness of the wheel bolts but other than that I am out of ideas.

Please help me.

cheers

simon

Dunno mate, got a weird vibration at 4000rpm myself which is mainly felt on the clutch pedal when changing gear. Funnily enough that's only happened since having a new SACHS clutch put in, well, two actually, had to have it done again due to juddering but the second one is juddering also and it's the same way as yours, i.e. on or off, very snatchy.

Vince is currently raising the issue with SACHS at the moment so I should hopefully get it seen to soon, which is good timing coz I checked my upper tensioner today and it's fecked :cry:

K

Bummer indeed, kev. That would explain the rough running I'm sure. :(

How did you check the tensioner? :(

I suppose looking at it like that, you've already paid Vince to take the clutch off, so at least if he's doing that in warranty from SACHS then chances are the tensioner job cost only half as much as normal.. There's always a bright side, see! :)

As for your setup, sda2489, I suppose it could be the clutch - there seems to be a lot of problems with new SACHS clutches at the mo. Does the vibration occur if you rev the engine free-running with the clutch disengaged? Did you get your timing chains etc replaced when the head was off?

You have to remove the inlet manifold, rocker cover and side plate to inspect the tensioner. Takes about 3 hours to remove it and put it all back together again. It was a good learning curve. The Schrick is going to be *really* easy :lol:

I can't believe it, the tensioner went from OK to completely knackered in 10,000 miles!

The chains have also stretched as the duplex chain is saggy between the two cam wheels, like you say, this will be all be done when the clutch gets redone!

The plastic chain rail was scary too....it's held in with 2 13mm bolts and they were both loose, VERY loose. Good job I spotted that.

K

K

so roughly how much extra work is involved in replacing the tensioner if the inlet manifold is already off in preparation for the schrick and if the clutch is also getting changed???

Bummer indeed, kev. That would explain the rough running I'm sure. :(

How did you check the tensioner? :(

I suppose looking at it like that, you've already paid Vince to take the clutch off, so at least if he's doing that in warranty from SACHS then chances are the tensioner job cost only half as much as normal.. There's always a bright side, see! :)

As for your setup, sda2489, I suppose it could be the clutch - there seems to be a lot of problems with new SACHS clutches at the mo. Does the vibration occur if you rev the engine free-running with the clutch disengaged? Did you get your timing chains etc replaced when the head was off?

Its does tend to vibrate with the car sat still and revving the engine (over 4k). Its much more apparent under load and as you hit the power band. I haven't really gone much past 5.5k incase it all goes wrong. I didn't have the chains replaced but I did have some of the tensioner parts replaced cos they were about to break off!! :shock:

I get the same kind of vibrations because of the clutch when trying to set off when I haven't fully released the clutch (after releasing the clutch about 30%). Obviously at this speed its not too bad but the vibrations I experience on full throttle seem of the same kind just more apparent and the vibrations have a much higher frequency

cheers

Maybe the clutch will take a bit of time to sort itself out?!?

simon

Well, given the above two facts, not a lot...

thats what i thought but just wanted to make sure............guess i'll be getting that seen to when the schrick gets fitted

oii you pair, you're supposed to be helping me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sorry :oops: :oops: ...........anyway even more off-topic............where did you get your stickers from........you know the ones in the rear quarter-lites????? 8)

Sda, is it a mechanical grinding sort of vibration or does it feel like a high rpm misfire?

Which tensioner parts did you have replaced? And what brand of clutch was put in?

sorry :oops: :oops: ...........anyway even more off-topic............where did you get your stickers from........you know the ones in the rear quarter-lites????? 8)

The 'Vee-reihenmotor sechs' ones?? Custom made ma man. Used one of the guys that sells decals on ebay. Not many people understand what it means (obviously I'm speaking about non corrado people and other folk who dont have a vr (golf etc).

-----------------------------------------

"Sda, is it a mechanical grinding sort of vibration or does it feel like a high rpm misfire?

Which tensioner parts did you have replaced? And what brand of clutch was put in? "

not grinding. If I feed the power in gently its not as noticable if at all. Gonna let it settle for a few days before I start giving Star P any phone calls.

Dont know what brand of clutch, but most folk seem to use sachs like you said earlier. So, I'm guessing thats what they put in.

I also discovered a but on the gear box at the back that was not tightened at all!! :shock:

So I'm gonna see what its like after tighten that up although I dont think thats the problem.

cheers guys, keep the suggestions coming in.

simon

The 'Vee-reihenmotor sechs' ones?? Custom made ma man. Used one of the guys that sells decals on ebay. Not many people understand what it means (obviously I'm speaking about non corrado people and other folk who dont have a vr (golf etc).

simon

aye thats the ones........looks damn cool 8)

'Vee-reihenmotor sechs'

Shouldn't that be "Fow-Reihenmotor Sechs", as that's how Germans pronounce the 'V' :)

Sorry to be nit-picky, and well off-topic :oops:

Tempest

Dont know, found it written in some document about the vr6 and though that'll be cool on a sticker stuck to the window. That's how it was written in the technical document:- and I quote.....

"The name, VR-6 come from a combination of Vee and the German word

Reihenmotor. The combination of the two can be roughly translated

as “in-line Vee.”

---------------------------------------

More on topic, i've fixed the problem. That bolt on the gearbox that wasn't tightened has now been tightened and there are no more vibrations under hard acceleration. WooHOo!!!!!!!!!!!

here's a picture of the little bad boy -

Holy cow, I thought the loose bolt would just be a small one holding a wire tidy or something......not one of the four Main bolts!!

That is shocking and totally inexcusable from the garage that did it.

Your box will have been flexing apart from the block everytime you applied power, you're lucky you caught that in time.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"four main bolts" holy sh$t. Didn't realise that there was only four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"flexing apart" ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Thank god I started to take it easy.

Yeh, I wasn't too chuffed myself when I found it. Seems fine now. I tightened it as hard as I could, dont have a torque wrench and its rather hard to get into with the tools. Not much room. Maybe i'll have another go at it to make sure and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for enlightening mt Kev. I wan't going to bother ringing up the garage but now I think I just might. Not impressed at all!!

simon