andi spencer

pollen filter

I think am completey monging it but is the pollen filter loacted below the window screen on the right as you look at the engine?

Under some plastic covering?

Confused VR6 storm owner

There is no pollen filter. That's the correct place if you want to fit one though. Never bothered myself...

Jetex certainly used to make pollen filters as I have one on mine......not sure if they still do though, seem to remember trying to buy a replacement a couple of years ago and not being able to find anyone that sold them.

Pollen filter......man up and get some NUTS....... Only joking it is odd not having one, there is plenty of space

It's surprising how much cleaner the inside of the screen stays with a pollen filter fitted.........less cleaning is always a plus point in my eyes!!!

Jetex don't make them anymore.

It does stop gunge building up around the heater matrix and making the car smell bad as well as keeping the screen cleaner as already mentioned - it also keeps the bits of leaf out of the blower when you whack it up to full!

Only downside is reduced airflow in the cabin area..

Only downside is reduced airflow in the cabin area..

More than compensated for by fitting a climatronic blower!!!

More than compensated for by fitting a climatronic blower!!!

Which is designed to run with a pollen filter!

I don't know but I suspect that replacing all the foam seals in the ducting and heaterbox will help no end with improving the airflow through the cabin.

I still don't know if the laterally mounted unit used in later cars was done for more blower efficiency or to stop any ingested water and moisture from destorying the electric motor - bit of both I suspect..

Would this be an idea...You could just cut to shape some vaccum cleaner filter and just cover over the foliage cover at the top. Hold it down with some tape etc

Would this be an idea...You could just cut to shape some vaccum cleaner filter and just cover over the foliage cover at the top. Hold it down with some tape etc

That would work and the shape of the 'foliage cover' should mean you can get a good seal on it, other option is cooker hood/extractor filter element cut to size.

As the main purpose of this would be to keep the bits of leaf out of the blower etc then even a thin piece of filter paper from say a coffee machine would do the job without as much reduction in air flow from the fan.

I have the cooker/filter charcoal element.

Unrestrictive,but keeps out all the debris ! I have had the Jetex pollen filter,but a very tight fit,and for the money it was not worth it !

the best idea there is the vacum filter if it is a sponge one that is! the other ideas are good but they will most probably have an increased pascal rating which will reduce the air flow? (sorry i forgot to mention i'm an air filtration engineer)

I my self use a piece of filter media that we use as a pre filter! it stops the larger debris without reduceing the air flow but from using it on the car i have noticed that it also pulling other particals from the air like exhaust fumes :)

the first picture is the media i couldn't find any clean to hand :( it is cut to just a little bigger than the plastic mess on which it covers,

the second is it in place, and you can probably see the colour is has gone since putting it in place!

I have a '95 8v, on my car there is what I can best describe as a plastic grille cover, kind of box shape. This is attached to the scuttle panel, is that not standard fitment? Does a brilliant job of keeping anything out of the heater.

Yep, they all have the foliage cover. Needs a little extra though underneath to be perfect. Never bothered myself, but have some extractor hood stuff that I might try.

Ah, I understand now. Mine as some kind of fine gauze mesh attached to the inside if the grille part of the foliage cover, must have been done by the previous owner.