thegrouch

Which Alternator?

I'm after a new alternator for my 95 VR6 Storm but unsure whether or not I need a 90A or 120A as all the markings have faded off my original and whether or not it makes much difference?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

I've had 90amp alternator on all three of my storms or, just do a quick sum off all the loads your likly to have on at one time, give yor self a small margin aswell. and make sure you get the 7 rib pulley version.

Matt

90 amp was standard for UK models.

I think the aircon models got the 120 amp version or it could be specified by the buyer at the time of sale.

Have that for sale, reckon from VW, not used since, just trial fitted. Pulley is used as you getting it without any pulleys. - 115 posted as cost me 175 around 15 months ago.

alternator01.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys! Emu So is that 80 or 120A? Not that it seems to matter from what's been posted on here, if you'd take £110 and could wait til I get paid on thurs then you've got a deal?

I just replaced mine and it was a 90A Valeo on mine originally. GSF couldn't supply me a replacement, but Unipart could, and the price was decent (£120 exchange).

If you can determine whether or not it's a Valeo or Bosch then it should be easy enough to work out the original part number from that. Give me a shout if you need help with this.

As others have said, make sure it's the 7 rib version. I believe that you can substitute later 6 rib alternators and change the pulley, but that justs add to the cost.

If you can work out the original part number then rebuilds are available from the likes of Unipart and Wood Auto.

(BTW, if the markings have faded then it sounds like a Valeo! Bosch numbers seem to be marked properly and last but my Valeo just seemed to have a paper sticker, where the writing had faded. Ridiculous really.)

I have a 120A alternator surplus to requirements. Was refurbished (new bearings, slip rings and brushes) about a year ago. £60 posted.

I'd probably buy that off you Kev, mine is old and makes a grinding noise with all the rust i sanded into it :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys! Emu So is that 80 or 120A? Not that it seems to matter from what's been posted on here, if you'd take £110 and could wait til I get paid on thurs then you've got a deal?

its 90A

PM me if you interested

I have a 120A alternator surplus to requirements. Was refurbished (new bearings, slip rings and brushes) about a year ago. £60 posted.

would that fit on the g60's too Kev, thinking of upping my ampage, as im going to upgrade all the wiring with 8guage wires and maybe relocate the fuses closer to the items running off the battery