DSLDave

Veedubhev's VR6 (Minnty) has emigrated

Hi there everybody, from Ireland. I have just become the proud new owner of Veedubhev's Aqua Blue VR6, aka Minnty! I got a Ryanair flight to Birmingham 2 weeks ago, and drove the VR6 home to Ireland. It's my first Corrado. Always had an ingrained affinity for VW generally, particularly the Golf MkII, of which I owned a few, possibly due partly to the fact that I did all my driving lessons in one while in Germany, and got my license in it.

This is also my first ever petrol car! Essentially I'm a worshiper of Diesel, and was really proud of the 60mpg I used to get from my 1985 'Golf C', and later I was giving 8v Gti's a good run for their money with my MkII intercooled 1.6 GTD!!!

Cant remember when I first saw a Corrado, I just know that I was drooling and dreaming since then, and never actually thought I might ever own one until very recently. So here I am!

Hoping to be a regular looker on the Forum, and no doubt I'll have regular questions on fixing things etc!

Over here you NEVER see a Corrado on the road, and that's kind of cool when you know that anyone who notices you is asking themselves 'Jeez, what the f### was that thing with a VW badge?'!!!

Did I say I might be asking questions about stuff? Well here goes with #1! I'm thinking I should replace the stock air filter with a K&N. I'm told by a supplier here that I need a "57 number 0311", but I saw folks on the net saying a "57i". Can anyone tell me the correct one I should fit??

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to being part of the Community.

DSLDave

Welcome Dave and that's commitment driving back to Ireland. NeRly bought one from Ireland few years back thought it would be a treck

Welcome to the corrado forum Dave!! Nice rado ;) I'm sure the guys here will be a world of knowledge for you.

As far as changing filter maybe post question in technical place to. But in my limited knowledge on these things induction kits are far better than normal filters :)

Welcome - I'm in Dublin and mine's a daily driver. Don't bother with the K&N, you won't see any noticable gains - just change the stock paper filters regularly.

Hello fendervg, I'm just outside Dublin. Good to know there are some on here from this side of the water. I'm told at least the sound is much nicer with the K&N. Why do you say don't bother - have you used one yourself?

So do you know many other Corrado owners around here then?? I'm taking mine on a final spin down to Kerry at the weekend before putting it away til next summer - that was my plan before I bought it. The €1400 motor tax is just such a killer here.

Once you take it over 4000rpm the VR will give you all the sounds you need. I had a filter on my MkII and it was a right pain - I'd recommend a stainless exhaust if you want more noise. Yep, the tax and the pump prices are a killer over here! Only good car related news I've had recently is that AXA have given me life long no-claims protection.

As far as the filter goes - various tests have shown that there is no measurable performance gain apart from an increase in induction noise - and some people have reported problems with their MAF when oil gets on to them. The OEM filter flows exactly as much air, and probably filters more. Only way to really get more air in there is a blower or a turbo.

Edited by fendervg

Been looking for info on this BMC CDA, and it does sound to be a good thing alright, though pretty expensive. I dont want a big stupid noise, and if its less noisy by setting the pipe up so that cold air is supplied, I would go for that. Does fitting it involve messing with the MFA connections? I seem to have a problem with my MFA as it is, and I do wish not to risk messing it up further.