Sign in to follow this  
HiAsAKite

Steering wheel caught fire.....

Well almost... started the car up and smoke started coming up from behind the wheel.. turned the engine off and jumped out the car bloody quick!!!

Couldn't find what caused it but cleaned out the gap between the wheel and column of dust and general crap.. seems ok now....

Had the same problem on on the golf once too...

Anyone else had this?

which side of the wheel was it mainly from? If it's the right hand side, I'd look at getting a new ignition swich to see if that's what got a bit warm... :?

Middle... I think it came from underneath where I can see the wire from the horn (I presume) going from the wheel to the wheel housing.. I'm fairly sure it wasn't coming from the inside the steering column housing (or whatever its called)....

Like I said, I had the same problem on my Golf once...

Oooops...... maybe I should keep an extinguisher in there just in case..

Just don't keep it under the arm rest... :roll: :oops: :lol:

Oooops...... maybe I should keep an extinguisher in there just in case..

Just don't keep it under the arm rest... :roll: :oops: :lol:

Maybe I'm slow tonight but ????

ah, ok... I used to keep a powder fire extinguisher under my rear arm rest 'cos it fits in nice, is easy to get to, and it stops it from rattling around in the car or in the boot...

...until it works loose and knocks the safety pin off under the armrest... :roll: :(

I'm glad it did it AFTER I fitted the new leather... it just vacuumed up and didn't damage anything... just made my heart rate go thru the roof and me and my mate almost cr@p ourselves when it went off! :? :lol:

Bu@@er.... steering column has been smoking again.. took the plastic casing off the column after a bit of pulling and pushing... stuck key in to see where it was smoking from... its stopped...

Couldn't see anything obviously going without disassembling the wiring so put it back together,.. worked fine...

Then on Sunday.. it started smoking again.... and then stopped!

I am going to have to get this sorted since I don't like intermittent faults of this sort..... any ideas?

In a previous thread someone mentioned the relays may be burning out.. where are they located?

Usually (but not always) its caused by a build up of muck and dust in the switches. I'd get a can of compressed air and a can of contact cleaner and clean all the switches in the steering column. From memory the biggest culprit is the indicator switch.

Make sure that none of the wires are dis-coloured as this could mean that the problem is else ware.

I would leave the plastic casing off for a few days after incase it does it again, that way you will be able to see exactly where the smoke is coming from.

Alex, I can get some pressurised gas from town and help you strip the old girl and dust her parts :shock: Gotta get it sorted for next thursday :wink:

That would be really cool mate.... this weekend?

Went out in the Golf last night to get some WD40 to clean the muck out.. ended up doing a round trip to Dorking and back trying not to break the speed limits (for those of you who don't know I'm practising for my IAM test).... its almost impossible.. there are so many 40 and 50 limits that should blatently be NSLs...

I had the same problem, it seemed to happen when starting the car. But was not the ignition switch.

The smoke was coming from the indicator swich contacts, after cleaning it all up the plastic between them was slightly pitted, this then filled with grease which allowed current to pass between the contacts.

To repair it the plastic must be cleaned with solvent then, I used araldite to fill the pitting.

This was last summer and I've not had any more smoke since then.