sexybourbon

mk2 golf dilemma opinions please

I have a bit of a dilemma , im not asking for someone to tell me what to do but more along the lines of am i being daft if i decide to go with it

So the story is my mechanic who used to build the turbo minis at z cars built a mk 2 golf maybe 8 years ago and i always loved it and always asked if he would sell it but he never would .

Its running a 210 bhp 20v turbo , 5x100 conversion , g60 brakes and some nice polished audi winters and weitecs and the i sides got a mint ( i think ) rainbow interior

Its been stood dry stored and run every week for about seven years now and hes offered tosell it to me for 2000 straight up

It needs a tidy up but nothing major just a bit of tlc and maybe some paint in places wich i could possibly do .

Heres the difficult bit , i wasnt reAlly thinking of selling the vr but i think i could make a bit more than 2000 for it and that profit could go in to my house deposit and maybe once the golfs tidied up and i have a house i could return to a corrado having exparienced a mk2

Wat do you guys think am i being daft thinking of selling the corrado for a mk2 or does my reasons and rambling kind of make sense

Any comments welcome and could possibly make me think straight lol

---------- Post added at 9:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:48 PM ----------

edybaryd.jpg

This is the one

The mk2 is a great car but i think the normal progression is from mk 2 Golf to the Corrado.The Golf will feel pretty basic by comparison & the C is a much better looking car,thats my view anyway. Keep the C !

I don't think you will have much left over for the house after buying the golf and spending a little on tlc. You know your Corrado but the golf is a bit of an unknown quantity. Personally I would stick with the Corrado unless you specifically want a mk2.

I've got both (okay the MK2 is just a standard GTI), but if it came to the crunch, the Golf would be the first out of the door. The Corrado, especially the later ones, are a lot more modern and comfortable than the MK2, even though they came from the same era. Corrados are also rarer, look nicer and drive better for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the MK2 (this one is the fifth one I've had), but I'd have the Corrado all day long.

Its running a 210 bhp 20v turbo , 5x100 conversion , g60 brakes and some nice polished audi winters and weitecs and the i sides got a mint ( i think ) rainbow interior

Sorry to be a pedant, but you might want to seek clarification on that :D I can see the wheels are 5 stud, but surely 288s would be the brake of choice instead of making the less powerful 4 stud brakes fit?

Anyway, I'd do the swap for sure. Corrados aren't exactly thin on the ground or fetching big prices, so you can always get another one if the MK2 proves to be a mistake of biblical proportions ;)

Looks nice, but can't imagine it'll be much fun to drive with wheels that size and being so low. Your Corrado is lovely. Although this may have a 20vT, I honestly think it would not take long for you to want shot of it. I could never live with something like this.

I've had 3 Mk2 16vs, but would only have another as a toy. Plus - what do you think your insurance company would say about engine, wheels and so on? With the scale of mods, you'd want to make sure everything was insured, esp given the attention it'll attract.

I suppose I'd want to know exactly how much work will be involved in getting it road worthy again. £2,000 does seem a good price... how about buying it, cleaning it up, and flogging it straight back on as surely a clean MK2 with that sort of work done on it is worth more than what he's asking? :)

Cheers for the replys , im going to see it on saturday to have a look at it but as jim says its maybe to buy and to tidy up and sell on as i cant see me insuring this and my vr aswell and i really do love the vr , thing is my mechanic is a friend aswell and he has only offered me it as he knows ill spend the time doing it up instead of just breakin it up

Id love to own a mk2 but id hate to make the mistake if i didnt like it

Mr bacon i think iv probs messed up there and it probably does run 288's im going to get a full spec on it when i see it so i can work out what it would be worth with some tlc

The car was also magazine featured back in its time and i could be wrong but i think it was when the 20v was a much rarer conversion

Most 20v Mk2's start from £3000+ your paying VR6 money so its a good deal.

As long as your not getting mates rates and your friend has an issue if you sell it to a random person for profit buy it. I have a Corrado VR6, Mk2 Golf GTi 16v and a Mk2 Polo 16v, I only insure/tax/mot one or maybe two of the cars (If i use the Polo as a daily etc) at anyone time but if i was saving for a house that would have to change.

I think my Corrado would edge it. Its just a better car in most category's so the Golf would go.

Unless the Golf is a moneypit you would be fine imo to run it for a year to get it out of your system, and sell on without losing money, prices of them are going up compared to the Corrado which seems to have bottomed out right now.