acjmetalman1

rear calipers

hi. I'm just getting my vr back on the road after being sat for 18 months. took it for and mot and it failed on a leaking rear caliper and a few other little things.

Anyway can anyone give some advise on sorting the leaking caliper coz the garage want to charge £169 to do it.

Cheers

I had a feeling that would be the first reply lol I would but iv just ordered new discs and pads all round. and i had to replace the windscreen for the mot so i need to get the caliper sorted as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Mk4 calipers use all the same discs and pads that are on the corrado already, so you just need calipers off a mk4 golf solid disc type calipers NOT the vented type as they are different

if they are the same then its not really an upgrade is it? lol so i guess it means they are just easyer to find then searching for corrado calipers? cheers for the help guys.

oh ok i see what you mean now. so this would have to be done in pairs? sorry to sound unappreciative of the help but would'nt just be cheaper to buy a used calliper or sevice kit to sort the leak? i just need it done as cheap as poss with no fuss. need the car mot'd to get to work.

is leaking rear calipers a common fault? what might be the main cause? is there a cheap and simple solution? i.e caliper service kit?

Bigg Red sell repair kits for less than £30 which include new seals and they're not too difficult to fit.

ok so I know i dismissed the idea of using mk4 calipers but if i did get some do they just bolt strait on? is there anything i need to do to make them fit?

cheers

looks good but them hoses are expensive aren't they? it's something i'd like to do in the future but for now i think i'll have to just get the caliper reapair kit.

I took the caliper off yeterday to have a look and the inside of the disc was very oily so im guessing its leaking from the piston seal?

The car also failed on the handbrake recording very little effort. Is this another common thing on rado's?

Mine almost failed for this, handbrake efficiency. Going to replace the calipers on mine i think. Prob go for the the MK4 ones too and take the hit with the flexi pipes.

Isnt swampy selling some flexi's on the supplier bit ? I got some for my 288 fronts and they are very good, about £27 IIRC.

i have some normal rear calipers if needed, will need a bit of a cleanup though.

as long as the work and not leaking then im interested. how much mate?

Isnt swampy selling some flexi's on the supplier bit ? I got some for my 288 fronts and they are very good, about £27 IIRC.

Yes I am

Or on eBay 9657adriana is the user name

Cheers

I've just converted to Mk4 rears and I wrote a super comprehensive picture/part number and fitment guide on Volksdevil. http://www.volksdevil.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1721

The calipers will bolt straight up to your carriers:thumbleft: Very straight forward to do and worthwhile if you can go for it.

Are these parts listed in the how to suitable for a VR6 conversion to mk 4 rear calipers ??? or are they just for 16v and g60 models. in which case what do i need. other than VR discs / bearing's / pads.

super write up !

Edited by delfinis38

I wouldn't use stainless bolts, far better off with 12.9 grade bolts which are a lot stronger

Again I can supply these along with the conversion hose

I wouldn't use stainless bolts, far better off with 12.9 grade bolts which are a lot stronger

Again I can supply these along with the conversion hose

I'm assuming the mk4 calipers used are correct for the VR ????

I'm assuming the mk4 calipers used are correct for the VR ????

Yes afaik though I'm a novice on vw