Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

Handling in Wet!!!

Hi

I went round a roundabout at the weekend not to fast but there was a bit of surface water on the road and the back end flipped out. Is this normal in a C as in front wheel drive cars I would have expected under steer not over steer?

Could this be a problem, like camber set up or something else? Shouldn’t be the rear bushes as they were just changed out. Is there only one set of bushes in the rear of a C?

Ps is camber different to the tracking?

Cheers

hello,

you shouldnt have got the back out that easily, unless there was oil / diesel etc...

handling is generally pretty good when using half decent tyres. infact i was drving hard last night and realised i have never actually had the C step out on me!!!!

you cannot adjust tracking or camber on the rear as far as i know...may be worth checking the tyres (are they worn etc???). how does it feel in the dry??

my bet is just a oil patch

HTH

My Corrado's handling was awful until I had the suspension fitted, felt like the back was going out round every corner...

Not sure if it due to knackered shocks or just the standard right height...

u got toyos?????? if not u need some

If you talking about the T1S's I don't like them at all, there grippy in the dry but wear way too quickly and useless in the wet... Yoko A539's for me 8)

If I power it round a bend in the VR there is some noticeable understeer (particularly when working in conjunction with torque steer :shock: ).. and if I lift off on the corner the front noticeable shifts/jumps inwards... however I am pretty sure this is just the car 'losing' all its understeer, rather than the back stepping out per se...

Brake compensator valve? Depends if you were on the power or not really.....

I was just taking it fairly easy not on the power going round the roundabout, but the brake compensator has just been changed out aswell. Ive still got winter tyres on from the previous owner ( still got plenty tread left though) but im about to fit goodyear F1's.

Somethings wrong then... the only thing I can think of (apart from suspension geometry/brake balancer) is whether you had overpressured tyres at the rear and under pressure at the front...

Remember the front tyres run at a higher pressure than the back (38 vs 34 I think but may be wrong..)

the back end on mine is REALLY bad in the wet, there are at least two good reasons for this!

1. I have crappy back tyres....Falkins, vs A539s on the front.[/*:m:e53e1]
  2. compared to the front springs, the back ones are reletively hard.....so the front digs in, but the back steps out. I could address this in a few ways A) get softer rear springs B) get harder front springs c) get better front ARB[/*:m:e53e1]

One semi useless piece of info worth noting, i am certainly guilty of it too.....is that if you are loosing the back end in the wet...its because you are slowing down on the corner - you should ideally be off the brakes before you turn in, and back on the power as soon as the car has turned in.......not always as easy as that tho!

what condition are your shocks, tyres, bushes and bearings in?

If you talking about the T1S's I don't like them at all, there grippy in the dry but wear way too quickly and useless in the wet... Yoko A539's for me

actually the toyos are really good in the wet and im suprised you think the 539 wears slower??? from experience the 539 wears the sae if not quicker

i use michelin pilot exalto. fantastic wet and dry and wears very slow!!! bout £80 per corner

BlueVR6, is this the only time it has happened??? it could still be an oily patch!!!

u got toyos?????? if not u need some

If you talking about the T1S's I don't like them at all, there grippy in the dry but wear way too quickly and useless in the wet... Yoko A539's for me 8)

I´ve got Yoko A539 too! :o

Don´t really like them at all... :wink:

Next tires would be GoodYear Eagle F1! :)

Now those are 5 stars! :D

Mine kicks the ar5e end out on wet roundabouts to, but only if I lift off the gas. I put it down to a cheap tyre on the rear N/S corner. I'll see how it is with my Michelin's.

F1's all round are tight. Not really given the car a LOT of throwing around in the wet, but the grip has been very impressive when i've needed it.

I wasn't keen on the T1-S's - they were only a few months old on my Paxo but only mild braking caused them to lockup in the wet. Not having ABS didn't help but they were just not too impressive in my opinion!

bout £80 per corner

one word.....COSTCO

second word 'Oak Tyres', trade price for ALL tyres :wink:

(e.g. 215/40/16 Marshall tyres £42 each :D )

bout £80 per corner

one word.....COSTCO

second word 'Oak Tyres', trade price for ALL tyres :wink:

(e.g. 215/40/16 Marshall tyres £42 each :D )

Marshall??? Who? :p

R they actually any good.......i know a guy with a mk4 gti that says that the Nankangs he has are one of the best tyres he has ever had......i wont be taking his word for it!

IIRC costco sell pilot exaltos 195/50/15 for £53 fitted.

Ive had similar probs with my corrado it seemed like every corner in the wet the backend was moving, it was handling like crap, my mk2 gti16v was 10 times better, ive managed to get a full new set of suspension, and im going to replace the tyres, but the back 2 are Yoko's so i dont understand it, i thought these were good, can anyone recommend a good set of tyres that arnt rediculously priced, and recommend i change anything else whilst getting the suspension fitted and tyres changes, it would be much appreciated so i dont have to start changing things after ive got the suspension and tyres fitted.

Never had any such issues in mine. Sticks to the road like glue, in all weather conditions.

If your C is "10 times worse" than your old Golf, you've got serious problems.

Main problems are:-

Knackered bushes

Shite suspension

Shite tyres

K

Yeah I agree - suspension or tyres....

I'm running Yokohama AVS Sport all round..... the suspension lets go before the tyres do.... 8)

Awesome tyres and wear rate is low too - wet weather grip is miles better than old Dunlop Sports I had...

£54 per corner :wink: