VW_OwneR_85

17" BBS splits from bmw anyone?

looking at my options for wheels, seen quite a few of these available at very good prices, obviously the fittment is an issue but theres ways around it, shame there 17 and not 16 :( though

anyone had them fitted? or seen them fitted to a corrado?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3-SPLIT-RIM-STYLE-BBS-ALLOY-WHEELS-4-OFF-17-INCH-1998-RC041-AUDI-VW-/170946664674?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item27cd3718e2

i had these on my old corrado

3582530449_d208c422bd_o.jpg

i had to use 4x100 to 5x120 adapters got mine from concept but you can get them from g23 engineering in the uk now, mine were a staggered set 7.5 front and 8.5 rears i had no fitment problems and ran pretty low but my arches had been modded to accomodate the 16x9 borbets i ran before the bmw bbs

i had these on my old corrado

3582530449_d208c422bd_o.jpg

i had to use 4x100 to 5x120 adapters got mine from concept but you can get them from g23 engineering in the uk now, mine were a staggered set 7.5 front and 8.5 rears i had no fitment problems and ran pretty low but my arches had been modded to accomodate the 16x9 borbets i ran before the bmw bbs

I still have the wings of your Aqua Blue :thumbleft:

looks good! is that a vr6? they got wider track so might stick out abit more on mine , iv just brought one rc041 for now off ebay at a good price posted, so ill use that and see what needs to be done, you have 40 profile tyres?

I used to run BBS RC041 and 042's on my G60.. they looked awesome and I used H&R trak+ adapters with 25mm front and 20mm rear spacing. I didn't have any rubbing issues either.

my test wheel arrived today,

DSC00093.jpg

need to get a spigot ring for it to take it to vw size then going to just sit it in place with my 15 or 20mm spacer and see how it looks and then decide if i want to commit to sourcing another 3 and then the pcd adaptors, im going to refurb it all gloss black and clean the bolts up , as i dont realy like the look of polished lips with a black centers, if i dont like the look of it im going to get a clock mechansim and turn it into a rather nice clock for the workshop wall :)

is it a 40 profile tyre i need with 17's?

looks good! is that a vr6? they got wider track so might stick out abit more on mine , iv just brought one rc041 for now off ebay at a good price posted, so ill use that and see what needs to be done, you have 40 profile tyres?

it was a 16v but converted to 20vt still on narrow track, i ran 205/40/17's on both the rc041's which are the fronts and rc042's rears, tyres were what i would call normal on the front and a sensible stretch on the rear not sure off the top of my head what size adapters i ran but i did have wider rears to fill the arches i could find out if you want but not sure if it would benefit you as previously mentioned my rear arches had been rolled and pulled and fronts rolled

and glad some parts of the old girl still live on bill that car had a real sentimental value to me which is why im glad the seats and engine albeit looking a bit different are living on in my mk2

neil

get some pics up!! ^

i decided in the end that i couldnt justify spending £250 on wheel adaptors, so the total price to get these up and running would work out alot more then the wheels i originaly wanted ,16" banded steels, iv now payed and orderd them so hopefully i should have them in 2weeks,

my test wheel isnt going to waste either :) going to refurb it and cut the wheel barrel down the center, install a clock mechansim and hang it on the wall

Interested to know more about the banded steels mate. I've read mixed stuff online about them, but I appreciate most people are just armchair heroes. Some people say they're illegal, some people say they invalidate insurance and some people say they are impossible to balance, I really like them but I'm hesitant.

im not to worried about balancing, but that being said if there done right then that shouldnt be an issue, mine are being done by http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk/#hes banded loads of wheels before so he knows what hes doing and wouldnt be in buisness otherwise, i wouldnt trust any random guy that can weld to do them lol , i realy dont think theres any law against them especialy with companies like bandedsteels.com and .co.uk being setup in the uk, check the sites out, btw if your interested theres two ways these can be done , both have different prices,

1- put a band in to alter the width , the size of the band also effects the ET! but the only control they have on the et will be is to make the band slightly bigger or smaller to suit, { this is what im haveing done on my vr}

basicly i wanted the rears banded to 9j but the final et would be 10 so my wheels are being banded a tiny bit smaller then 9j so my et works out at roughly et17 same with the fronts, there being done to just under 8j so the et works out at et 25,

2- have bands put in to make your wheels as wide as you want and then alter the ET by cutting the center and repositioning it suit your desired et, thats what i originaly wanted but costs an extra £40 per wheel.

Edited by VW_OwneR_85