Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Need a new aerial.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement short length (beesting) aerial? I need the whole thing as my rubber is split - see photo

Cheers

Tried VW? Your local breakers might still have the original (mine seems to have quite a few).

Have fun taking the headliner out to access the screws underneath ...

Tempest

From what I have been told you don't actually need to drop the entire headlining to get access to the base of the aerial. You can just unclip the bit at the back and pull down the very back part to get all the access you need.

So shouldn't be *that* much of a nightmare to swap :)

there's 2 cable connectors just under the back of the headlining, one for the power and one co-ax one for the aerial itself... it's rather easy to swap 'em over, I just did mine (again) now that the head lining is back is so that I could mod it slightly.. 8)

Apologies if youv'e already considered this,buuuut, do VW have just the sealing base avl., instead of replacing the whole thing? Not that i've ever taken an aerial off, but you never know, just occasionally VW come up trumps!

Nope, you have to buy the whole aerial as my base seal is cracked too. I asked ages ago!

They're gits for that. Why sell you the 10p rubber foot when they can sell you the whole aerial for £30? Bastards.

Mine has just got one coax connector, 94 VR. I think they did away with the seperate earth lead on later cars.

K

It's not an earth, it's the power for the aerial amplifier that's built into the base of the aerial...

you never know...when you replace it,you might even get a radio signal...mine actually worked when i was coming home from kent on wednesday :shock:

yeah, mine did the same... made me jump when I turned the radio on and it said "Century" across the display after I changed the aerial... I didn't realise my TV system had RDS... :oops: :lol:

Nope, you have to buy the whole aerial as my base seal is cracked too. I asked ages ago!

They're gits for that. Why sell you the 10p rubber foot when they can sell you the whole aerial for £30? Bastards.

Typical, I should know better by now! Same for the rubber boots on the end of the handbrake cables, or the small plastic clip bonded to the front windows, why let people buy the tiny cheap part they need when you can rip them off for the next higher and far more expensive bit! :cry: There must be a business opportunity for someone over things like this :!: