Craig

Which active sub?

Hello, I've never been too fussed about music in the corrado but I played prodigy, fat of the land last week and then led zep and really did notice the complete lack of bass from my stereo.

I've kept things basic so far and have an alpine 112ri iPod stereo, 4x50w I think and some standard sized components up front and standard sized upgraded 6x4 rears. The sound is clear but just no bass at all due to speaker sizes.

So brings me to the point today, I'm clueless about stereos and after research im contemplating putting an active sub enclosure, sub and amp all on the one box in the boot.

I've had a look on the web and these seem to be the best prices and I don't want to spend more than £100 and installing seems to be plug and play?

I like the cheap fli one as its smaller than the rest and wont hog my boot space, or possibly the carbon vibe one? Or to complicate matters there's also the slim line ones that allegedly fit under the seat? So anyone have an opinion as to which one would be the best?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/1086_63_100/spd/active-bass-tubes---boxes.html

I'm don't want to drive round like a chav with bass pounding all the time but just a decent all round sound will do.

Edited by Craig

Try A M in winton they always helped me out in the past and i prefer the sound of a sealed box not so boomy.. j

Over the years I've had several Infinity Basslink subwoofers in my Corrado's.. they've always been very decent, and a good size for the Corrado boot. Highly recommended!

Thanks for the input. Ive decided to go for the small 8" alpine unit. Reviews seemed good and it's small in size so won't take up all of my boot space, plus alpine always seems to have good quality kit. Just have to wait for it to arrive and fit it now :)

I have been wanting something like this for months, thanks for the link looks like a great bit of kit and that price :suprised::suprised:

Lol, we should have arranged a group buy, managed to get mine for £99 delivered and it arrived last night. Looks nice and well made, very neat with the little details like the hiding cover for all of the wires and mess grill for the connections. The port blocker is well made. It came with a wiring kit too so just need to shift this cold i have and get round to fitting it.

How have people secured their sub enclousres, i dont want it sliding about the boot and im unsure what would be the best to secure it, other than making something like a braket and welding it in, i need something more simple? could just staple some velcro to the boot floor?

Maybe someone should sort out a group buy cause I might be up for one aswell.

They look just the job.

Too late, already ordered mine, can't wait! I paid 107 on Amazon. I had some Christmas vouchers :-)

Can someone post a picture of the connections so I can order a wiring kit. I assume it doesn't come with one.

Yeah as said already have mine sat in the room. It comes with a wiring kit. Not exactly industrial sized wires but it all seems to be there. As well as some pads to mount the remote to control the bass :)

Yeah as said already have mine sat in the room. It comes with a wiring kit. Not exactly industrial sized wires but it all seems to be there. As well as some pads to mount the remote to control the bass :)

Thanks mate. Impressed with that!

anyone installed it yet, would be great to see a pic of how much space it takes up...

Mine arrived today so I'll plop it in the boot this week and take a photo. Can't use it until I can replace my head unit though :(

That's a perfect size, if it lives upto the reviews I may get one aswell

Now who's going to be the 1st to install !

It's perfect in terms of size, the picture is poor because I took it using my flood lights for light.

I quickly plugged it in to test it out, a few notes in case you're interested:

- The supplied power cable is too short so get a longer one or extend it

- If you don't have a spare RCA output you can splice it in to the existing cables for the rear speakers (this actually works very well)

- The remote on lead is also slightly too short

I only had 10 minutes to hear it but I have to say WOW! I cannot believe how good this thing is, the amp is tiny, the whole thing is very 'cute' but the quality of the whole unit and bass it kicks out is brilliant.

Being an 8" it's quite punchy, a 10" would be marginally better as an all rounder but all the other great features far out weigh that fact. I've still got loads of tweaking to do and expect this to fully satisfy my bass needs :)

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:00 PM ----------

could just staple some velcro to the boot floor?

This is what I'm going to do.

Cheers for the heads up about the power cable, looking to try and get mine fitted this weekend but as already said, im really pleased with the look, compact size andbuild quality.

Prob a silly question but what can you do to extend the power cable, just run a new lenght of cable instead and buy this from an audio shop? im clueless when it comes to audio or electrics?

Yeah you can either just buy a new longer bit or extend the bit you've got already. Best bet it probably to buy a new longer bit and attach it just after the inline fuse. You need to make sure you keep the fuse.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

You'll be able to get some cable from Halfords or Maplins, just make sure it's the same gauge.

cheers mate, just wondered if it had to adhere to some specific specifications, prob just wander into halfords tomorrow then and hopefully get it up and running :)

bought some heavy duty velcro from hobby craft so should hold it in place

I was actually surprised how weedy the power cable is that comes with it, but Alpine know more than me about these kind of things so if they deem it good enough, that's good enough for me.

If possible you should solder the cables when extending them, those clips you can get from places like halfords that let you splice cables together are crap.

As some one who knows absolutely nothing about car audio what would be needed to run one of those boxes?

As mine stands now, standard speaker sizes all upgraded and a sony head unit...