carrots

foliage seal

Yeah you can still get them, cant remember how much but £15 rings a bell, easy to do as well :)

What are the door membranes like too? always worth checking them as that is without a doubt the first port of call.

If you remove the doorcard it'll be obvious if if has come unstuck and letting water through into the cabin.

If this is the case i'd get yourself some of the proper sealant from VW and a mastic gun and sort it.

If the membrane has been butchered in the past and it's very likely it has a new one can be made from thick polythene sheeting and be carefull about where you make holes for the mirror & speaker wires etc.

The part number for the sealant is, D 469 101 A3 it is like a sticky black goo that doesnt dry out & stays tacky all the time, trust me this stuff is fantastic & when most silicone sealants dry and crack this will continue to hold and keep the water out.

If you need any pics let me know ;)

ok cheers,the carpet on the inner sill is dry thats what made me think the foliage seal.its soaking in the front passenger and rear footwell

Hmmm the water easily runs into the bottom sections though leaving the side bits seemingly dry. Have you removed the passenger shelf to see if the foam on the back is wet?

I tried to buy a foliage guard seal a month or so back from VW and was told they're obsolete.

A man who knows these things suggested I try butyl strip.

when you say the car is soaking, do you mean carpets or windows?, because even if the carpets are bone dry the door membranes may not seal properly and let damp air into the car from the insides of the doors, ideally you need an almost complete seal with the membranes so make sure there are no rips even if the bottom looks sealed to stop water actually dripping into the car.

Took me all the way to work to demist my rear window today (17 miles with the heater on and passenger window open) and I've recently redone the drivers side seal, all floors and carpets are bone dry, but the bit of moisture that does get in on the air all condenses on the rear screen, before I did the drivers door it would be like that on the front screen too and water was not actually dripping in anywhere.

the front and rear passenger carpet is very wet but the rear only seems to be in the middle part of the carpet like its dripped from above,which it cant as ive not got a sunroof

I've had the same problem. Most likely the culprit is the foliage seal and as the front gets waterlogged the water is just running to the back under acceleration or when going uphill, maybe. The fact that the carpet is wet in the centre makes sense, if that's the case. It's unbelievable how much water can get in through that air intake.

Good idea to check the door membranes, as davidwort suggests, and also the sunroof drains (do front and rear while you're at it), check the door seals & door drains, check the arch bonding to the body for rot, ensure the windscreen's not leaking and make sure the heater matrix is sound. I think that should cover it, but most likely you'll find the main ingress is through the air intake.

Get the carpets up and take the felt out to dry. My felt was absolutely saturated, sodden in fact, and I had to hang it over the bath overnight to drain. It then took 2 days to dry on a radiator and now looks sorry for itself and needs to be replaced. I left the piece in the footwell in place because only the lower section was wet, bent a wire hanger to shape and lodged it underneath to let the air get to it. I left the carpet in but pulled up to the tunnel and it dried fairly quickly as it's so thin. Just put the heater on to floor setting for a few days when driving.

I tried to buy a foliage guard seal a month or so back from VW and was told they're obsolete.

A man who knows these things suggested I try butyl strip.

They must have become obsolete pretty quickly then as i brought a seal from the stealer a few days before christmas

did u give them a part number or just ask for the seal?

They must have become obsolete pretty quickly then as i brought a seal from the stealer a few days before christmas

did u give them a part number or just ask for the seal?

A mate tried for me through his contacts at VAG. I gave him the part number. It was a good five or six weeks before Christmas, possibly more. Odd that you got one. Did they have it in stock or order it in? And most importantly, where did you get it from?

A mate tried for me through his contacts at VAG. I gave him the part number. It was a good five or six weeks before Christmas, possibly more. Odd that you got one. Did they have it in stock or order it in? And most importantly, where did you get it from?

I've just ordered one from Tonbridge TPS and it should be in tomorrow. They didn't say it was out of stock/obsolete but will report back.

I used a TPS near chester once as I was in the area and they sold me part over the counter ok. They do sell to the public but wont offer you big trade discount. You do get some discount however.

The gasket part number is 191 819 166 I purchased one back in April 2010 and VW said they had to order it from Germany and took 2 week back then.

Edited by VWVW

Dave,

Have you an account with TPS ?

Or are they happy to take any bodies money !

Bryan,

No account. They serve the public quite happily and have always given me some sort of discount, normally without asking for it.

Dave

yeah it was 4.69 & VAT, it was in stock, same part no as above and that was stourbridge VW. The plastic clips that hold the windscreen trim in place had to be back ordered but it only took a day. Thought mine were bound to break when i removed the trim, but all of them were intact after i pulled it off....typical, can bet if i hadnt ordered them they would have all broke, lol, still got some spares now!