Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

I give up...it won't run, and I have no clue why not...

1994 OB1 VR6 lump into 1994 corrado 2.0 8v.

Got fuel at the rail, but nothing through the injectors, got no spark. engine will turn over but of course won't fire.

Sounds like typical crank sensor (engine speed sensor) but I don't know how to test it? can't buy a new one for the sake of it, they're £140.....

Checked all the wiring time and time again, everything is plugged in right.

Weird thing thats doing my head in is, when I have my multimeter set to continuity, it beeps when I go between the battery terminals??? this can't be right can it? do I have short somehwere? if so, then why are my electrics working??

any help greatly appreciated, I'm totally stuck and don't know what to check or what to do, I've just given up and come inside as I'm sick as f*ck :mad:

Stick the V-meter on the crank position sensor - it should report fluctuating volts as the engine turns. If it doesn't, that's your culprit. If it does, it could still be out of range, I don't have figures for what is the correct range unfortunately. I suppose you can't plug VAGCOM in..?

You really need to see what the ECU thinks is going on, IMHO.

Test for G28 (Eng. Speed Sensor) from Bentley...

26 Engine speed sensor (G 28 )

3-pin connector (white) near starter -

67 + 68 - - 500 to 700 Ohms

56 + 67 - - Infinite Ohms (open)

56 + 68 - - Infinite Ohms (open)

mates bring anpother sensor down, I'l mesuree that and see if it's any different, and give it a go in the engfine.

I sense another £140 coming up......bastard :p

It's only a pickup coil for a toothed disc that rotates with the crank, can't see stainless steel having such a different inductance (or whatever!) to a mild steel bolt to the extent that it would affect pickup ???

At 840 it might be out of range but that would just affect the resolution? Anyway the proof of the pudding is in your mate's sensor.....

From the VR6 tech-doc floating around the internet the ECU recognises an implausible signal when the crank postion and cam position sensors don't correspond - are your cams all timed in correctly (ducks for cover...) ....

840 is indeed out of range and would probably show up as "implausible signal" on VAG-COM, but the engine should still catch. Mine did when it was out of range, but intermittantly cut out and took ages to catch and fire.

I assume the ECU can actually see the sensor? I know you're no idiot, but have you double checked the wiring?

K

double and treable checked the wiring

ECU is on as I have power at the MAF.

engine won't even try to catch. check the plugs and they are bone dry, no fuel, yet I have fuel at the rail. no spark either.

Will try the new sensor in the morning, if it won't work I'll go borrow my mates VAG-COM and see what that tells me.

Still, at least I had time to clean the inner arches, they are now cleaner than the bodywork!

ECU has power.

tried another crank sensor, this one reads 540, within range. but it still won't fire up

no spark, no injectors. I have power at the injectors, but the ECU isn't opening them.

gouy on vortex reckons I have the wrong ecu realy

can a vr6 owner please take a pic of his fuseboard for me

please!

gouy on vortex reckons I have the wrong ecu realy

can a vr6 owner please take a pic of his fuseboard for me

please!

Isnt it the same setup that was fitted in your golf so if its the wrong ecu it wouldnt have worked then either?

it's the same engine that was in my orange golf, but the wring and ecu off that was sold in my black mk2. I've never used this loom or ECU before.

cheers of the pic, I'll go check now.

tried that, can't turn the engine smooth enough to get a signal

Take the plugs out and turn it on the starter motor... you should be ablet to get it to spin fast and smooth enough to test that sensor properly... 8)