P3rks

VR6 Inlet re-paint

I'm just about to remove my inlet so I might as well give it a lick of paint. I'm wanting a nice OE colour. Can anyone point me in the right direction what paint and combo to use?

Thanks! :)

I havent donr the mani yet but i used some vht silver from halfrauds i think and i was really happy with the colour, it was what i would have wanted it to be like if id have had to choose , ill get a pic up if you need it

If you can!

I've used the VHT stuff before and I found it really chalky. Did you lacquer it too?

No i never laquerd it as i didnt want it shiny so i have to be really carefull with toppin up the oil and that , but id do the same with the manni unless your gonna powder coat it as it will just look to shiney , saying that iv never seen a laquerd one so i am just assuming

Ill take a pik tomorrow mate so you can see

That's my issue! I want it to look OE which has a satin finish, I think? But then I don't think un-lacquered paint will be durable. The last thing I want is to go through the hassle of refurbishing it only to knock the manifold and scratch it or mark it within the first week - which I know I will!

sure you can get a satin effect vht paint

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Temp-Heat-Resistant-BBQ-Chiminea-Paint-200ml-/160441407310?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&var=&hash=item255b0d974e

scroll down thru the options and they do a few silver finishes, bet you could find it cheaper / easier at a local large garden centre.

paint it and fit a set of my new bolts (see suppliers forum) and jobs a good un

I know exactly what you mean mate tbh iv done my vr6 cover twice now as it does mark easy , the only other option is to powdercoat i think , its not going to be as shiney as laquer but it probably wont be as bad

Have you ever seen chrome effect powder coat , iv seen with my own eyes (not off of a computer) screen the finish on some tvr wheels and it looks like hand polished parts but kinds better i thing , like chrome but more subtle, plus powder coat is more durable and can be waxed to maybe keep some of the oil and grime from sticking to .

Assuming you mean the inlet plenum, this is how mine look, no vr6 cover and its just a generic vht silver with polished "fingers"! currently runnning a black pipercross with it now though, would take a picture but my bay is not clean at all at the mo! Just for an idea!

Thanks for the input guys!

I have two upper inlet manifolds and three lower inlets and a selection of paint to try.. I'll post the results up!

I did the engine on my golf with that when the old one died a horrible death. You are right, it was very chalky, and didn't quite go off. I've recently done the rear drums on the missus's Fabia with a tin that was left over though, and used Acid Etch as a base coat (even though the VHT says you don't need it) and it went on really well, and is now nice and solid without chalking off on your finger when rubbed. I put it on top of the Etch Primer within 10 minutes to kind of wet mix it, and its adhered much better. :thumbleft:

In my humble opinion I would go to see a powder coater and get it done properly and you will get a good durable finish, I had my rocker box and inlet mani done and it's spot on and will last forever........

E76FF050-44F6-4833-8461-113E7CC2DB10-5323-0000035D5249E108.jpg

42835430-AB11-4E92-B149-F225902BA925-3642-000002EB9E3A6C2A.jpg

Sorry about 2nd pic it was taken in the dark

Another vote for powder coat here.

I've rattle can painted a few inlets in my time and they look good after paint but have no durability.

Just request a satin silver finish. Most coaters can accommodate this. I went for a satin black finish as I can't stand gloss black powder coating.

IMG_0758.jpg

This was a few years ago now but I can't honestly say it looks exactly the same today after a couple of removal & refittings as well.

Looks stunning in satin mate, mine is gloss gun metal.....

The coater near me can do just about anything, his range of colours in almost endless, I've used him for bike frames and all sorts and every time the finish is amazing and close to indestructible, well worth it if you want a finish that will last.

Looks stunning in satin mate, mine is gloss gun metal.....

Thanks mate.

To say that I was happy with the final product would be an understatement. They really do know what they are doing @ Perfect Coatings, Meppershall, Beds.

Echo your sentiments on durability. I rattle painted a bracket earlier on for my rebuild and pulled paint off just re-installing some fittings. Case in point.