Ralphead

Top mounts.. again

So. The top mounts on my 1990 16v need changing. I wish I'd done them when VW still sold them! I can't find any that I'd consider fitting, they all look crap. No one can make a decent quality top mount and retail it for a tenner with the bearing.

So I found these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-GALAXY-PAIR-OF-FRONT-STRUT-TOP-MOUNT-BUSH-BEARING-/330496872017?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item4cf3260e51

No, I don't want them on my car but look at the fitment list! I know the Galaxy is a Sharan is an Alhambra but even so that list seems to suggest that if VW still sell a mount for any of those cars then by default they must sell one to fit a 16v Corrado?

Am I being silly here by believing an eBay ad?

Vr6 top mounts with mk4 golf bearings. Cost about £50 in total from tps :-) seems a lot of money but you get what you pay for at the end of the day

All but the very last year of production of 4 cylinder corrados have mk2 golf style top mounts, the pattern mounts are not heavy duty enough for the weight at the front of a Corrado which is partly why the pattern ones don't last.

if you want to fit the vr6/mk3 gti/mk4 type top mounts and bearings you will also need crossover mk3 or Corrado vr6 spring top plates (later mk3 top plates are a different diameter) and bump stops and dust covers.

top hats (bit you see under the bonnet) are allegedly interchangeable between the two types of top mount, but as you can see the swapping to vr top mounts is not quite straightforward.

I've got fk coilovers and found that I only needed to change the top mount and bearing when I done mine, think it depends on what suspension you are using.

I sent a complaint email to gsf about the top mounts I brought from them which lasted 5mins. They refunded me and offered me a replacement pair of top mounts (which I didn't bother taking as they are poo) they also said that the weight difference of the mk2 and corrado isn't enough of a difference to cause an issue and they will continue selling the part as they havnt had any other complaints.

Coilovers have their own equivalent to the vag top plate built in, totally different story compared to standard struts where one top mount won't fit with the wrong spring top plate.

and on the weight thing, a Corrado 16v is well over 100kg heavier than a MK 2 gti and a fair amount of that is in the front body panels, once you add on the heavier 02A gearbox and various other differences including stiffer springs and harder tyre pressures you can see the mounts get more of a hammering.

The g60 mk2 also had heavy duty top mounts (the Corrado/passat part) as that had harder suspension and the 02a gearbox, plus the heavier g60 engine.

I included all that in my complaint email to them. Had done loads of research on here and clubgti. Can't fault them for offering a refund and replacement part but can only fault them for the time it took for them to respond and the product they say is suitable. Lesson learnt go tps in future pattern parts are cheap for a reason :-)

I see VW Heritage sell Meyle top mounts for the 16v (357 412 329) at about £12.50 each. Has anyone tried these and like to offer an opinion. First Line mounts are widely available (about £20 each), so again has anyone an opinion on these. Carparts4less are advertising Lemforder at £14.70 each (but it may be necessary to check thats what they will actually supply).

I currently have Febi which were fine on my Golf mk 2 8v GTI, but I can confirm above info: mine appear to be disintegrating after only 3K miles on the 16v Corado. My own choice would be Lemforder!

Early 16v ones are the same as g60 ones.

Got mine from euro car parts, came oem logos and part number stamped on them.

Lasted about 20k so far

The tip I had from someone a while ago (can't remember if it was on here) was to buy the mk2 pattern ones and fill the gap between the plate and the rubber with poly resin! The ones I've seen fail are down to the rubber failing so that makes a lot of sense :)

There's a seller on eBay called murrays_direct selling Lemforder top mounts for late cars for £25

Thanks for all the help. I like the sound of the genuine kit. So I'd need, Corrado VR6/mk3 gti/mk4 rubbers (the same part?) Corrado VR6 top hats and mk4 bearings? I'd much rather hunt about for good bits than buy cheap pattern parts.

I put Febi drop links on the front of mine and they're not looking good after 10k miles, sod changing my top mounts every year or sooner.

Oh I'm running a Weitec fixed rate damper and spring setup, Ultra GT?, so no coilover complications. The front end rising a few mm is fine with me, it's too low at da mo. Sorry.

So I'd need, Corrado VR6/mk3 gti/mk4 rubbers (the same part?) Corrado VR6 top hats and mk4 bearings?

Is that right? I want to be sure is all.

Cool, thanks. I'm all for harsh driving! If I could use those to adjust castor angle I'll be on them like fresh beef. It sound like you can.

I don't need to be 15mm lower than I am now though. Would my knackered mounts be letting the front end sag? I'm thinking if it is then I may end up about the same.

I brought some supersport ones supposidly uprated from venom motorsport they cost about 3 times as much as GSF ones and are just as **** only lasted 5k if that. Thanks for the tip vr6 ones will be going on next or euro car part ones.

cheers Kev.

Any recommendations for a vr? I swopped out my originals at about 50k miles for some Febi ones when i fitted the Konis. Need replacing after abkut 25k but im almost tempted to reuse the original vw ones as i cant seem to find anything good.

Does anyone have the height of a new top mount to check if its they're worth using again?

Thanks Keyo I'll give them a try unless anyone else has any other recommendations

Thanks Keyo I'll give them a try unless anyone else has any other recommendations

Disappointed to hear your Febi ones failed prematurely, I had some Febi front mounts fitted to my car last year as well, I also had rear Lemforder top mounts fitted at the same time and now regret not getting front Lemforder top mounts . Did the same same on my golf to! I have purchased Febi a lot in the past if OE was not available however I do think they live a little off there attachment to Bilstein which of course is quality , compared to brands like Beru, Hella and Lemforder Febi is lower on the scale and more on par with Meyle I would say.

Does sound like you can't go wrong with the factory ones though not sure if they are obsolete and costs.

Edited by Keyo