Jamie

LED Bulbs - WARNING

Got in my car this morning and noticed a really foul smell and a weird sound. Took a few seconds then noticed the LED bulb in my interior light was alight, not just smoking but properly on fire. Managed to rip it down and put it out before it got very bad but still a bit worrying. Didn't think this could happen with LEDs tbh but it's one of the canbus error free smd type bulbs and it looks like one of the chips has overheated. Probably a freak one in a million chance of it happening but just thought I'd let people know...

PS Not my Corrado, the family Truckster

Wow that's odd I wouldn't have thought that from led's as they are usually draw very low power.

I hate reading story's like this though they make me worry about everything after seeing my old car go up in flames on a friends driveway :(.

I think the main problem is half this stuff now is knocked up in China for pennies...

Someone at work bought a generic Dell laptop power supply of eBay despite new ones from Dell being only £20 and it nearly set fire to her house - luckily she was in the room when smoke started bellowing out!

Be careful what you buy people and what you leave plugged in / switched on!

I agree Steve, the quality of materials used in so much copy/generic chinese stuff is scary, poor grade plastic is one thing, but I'm still surprised that an LED or two that pull only 1 or 2 Watts could do that though, does make you think.

I had a cheap ebay-job laptop battery, worked OK... for a year, glad I've replaced it with a genuine one now.

The problem is that a 1w LED bulb produces half a watt of heat, but distributes it over a tiny tiny area, leading to a really microscopic hot spot. If you use the high-power LEDs then you need a carefully designed heat distribution package for it. The lamps that use "many" low powered LEDs (20 or 30) are much more reliable because packaging is much less critical.

Did you post this on detailing world too? if not then thats 2 this week I have read about!

No wasn't me mate* The real ****er for me is I deliberately went for the more expensive ones from a UK based supplier, although I know they pretty much will all come from the same Chinese factory.

*Yes I have posted it on DW and also Talkaudio

---------- Post added at 4:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:11 PM ----------

Pics of it

Burntbulb4.jpg

Burntbulb2.jpg

Burntbulb3.jpg

Edited by Jamie

:shock: have you got a 32Amp fuse or something in the interior lights slot!

The fuse kept blowing so I put a paperclip in instead :D It's a 5 amp as per the manual...

5A is way over for a single LED bulb, does it really need 60+W?! I'd swap it for a 1A fuse (or 2A, if the 1A one blows). They don't need much power to run, that LED probably failed short...the board's current limit will be less than the fuse rating, allowing it to get hotter and hotter.

Remember a 5A fuse is rated to continuously supply 5A, not to blow at 5A! The trip current is a good bit higher...

Stone

I'd just like to ask, how long was the interior light on for? Had you been working inside the car,.? Scary pictures tho, I'm just thinking of getting a few. [cough cough] think I'll leave we'll alone....

Wonderful post cheers for heads up.

5A is way over for a single LED bulb, does it really need 60+W?! I'd swap it for a 1A fuse (or 2A, if the 1A one blows). They don't need much power to run, that LED probably failed short...the board's current limit will be less than the fuse rating, allowing it to get hotter and hotter.

Remember a 5A fuse is rated to continuously supply 5A, not to blow at 5A! The trip current is a good bit higher...

Stone

5A wasn't my idea squire - that credit must go to the good people of Volkswagen Audi GmbH of Vee Double Ewe Strasse, Wolfsburg, Greater Germany.

I'd just like to ask' date=' how long was the interior light on for? Had you been working inside the car,.? Scary pictures tho, I'm just thinking of getting a few. [cough cough'] think I'll leave we'll alone....

Wonderful post cheers for heads up.

Walked up to my garage, unlocked the car which activated the interior light, opened the door and got in. That's when I heard a weird noise, dodgy smell and it took a few seconds before I noticed the light was burning.

I've just replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs and I stumbled upon this thread.

I bought the LEDs from here.. http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-interior-full-led-pure-white-for-volkswagen-corrado-p-3194.html

The Interior Lights, Cig Lighter & Rear Spoiler Motor are Fuse 21 which should be 15 amps!

Glovebox Light & Rear Spoiler Control Unit are Fuse 16 which is also 15 amps!

I'm a bit worried now. Especially if the boot light goes up as I won't notice it until it's too late! :shrug:

Edited by MikeVR6

That will be because the cig lighter and spoiler motor draw a good chunk. My suspicion is that they wanted to have as few fuse types in the factory as possible so just defaulted to 5A for anything not requiring much power. Personally I'd downrate any fuse just supplying lighting, it's incredibly rare for them to go which makes me feel they aren't doing very much.

Incidentally the only time I've ever had a bulb blow a fuse is when one of my brake lights went, I only realised I had no brake lights when the gear shifter wouldn't unlock, as the auto uses the brake light feed to drive the solenoid!

Stone