pb-1981

which option is best??

hello guys and gals

i know that this has been covered many times in one way or another, but my question has a slight twist, ive just brought my first corrado and im loving it :) although i am after a new set of wheels if anyones selling or swapping, the ones fitted are nice but a bit big for me, anyhoo.... the sunroof is broken on my VR im aware of the issues with the sunroofs breaking and mine is no exception along with the usual "scrape" on the roof, id really love to get the unit back in action and ive seen lots of threads over the transplant route and from what i see its either the passat moon/sun roof from the B3 (by the way without wishing to sound thick, is there a difference between a sun roof and a moon roof??) or a unit from a 93 ibiza GTi, my question is this, ive seen a few threads saying that the passat roofs fail as well so is it better to keep the original rado unit and repair it or do the transplant? ive got a black headlining so a glass unit would help put some light back into the cabin and i like the idea of glass also i have no motor anymore as the previous owner removed it, appologies for the essay ;) look forward to some views please?

pete

I loved a moon roof in my old mk3. But personally I like keeping things standard do I would vote for repair the original.

Edited by Portent

I'm all for originality but I do like the moonroof.. it's a great upgrade on the Corrado!

I've got a moonroof from an Ibiza Gti in my VR, it's a better fit than the Passat moonroof in my old valver, there's not a lot in it but the profile is closer.

Hi what year was the ibiza you took the sunroof from?

I think it was a 2000 year.

Ive got a B4 moonroof in mine. The profile of the curve is not right and simply is damn near impossible to get lined up right. Its incredibly close, but when it comes to wind noise unfortunately 2-5mm is quite a bit of pertrusion.

However, with a very noisy car due to door seals causing noise too, its certainly over look by the amazing light it gives into a very dark cabin. Sliding the cover back and looking up to see the stars / blue sky is fantastic and well worth a bit of noise. I tend to just open it up, that way you can excuse the noise as its an open window ;)