Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Rear Axle..............elp!!!

hi all, i'm currently fitting a set of beemer wheels to my Corrado Vr6 and as BMW's have a lower ofsett the rear wheels stick out a little, i've heard the VR6 has a wider track axle and the others have a narrower width axle is this true????..also what other VW axles will fit the C that will keep the wheels furthest in the arch......are there any other mods that can be done.............

how much do the wheels stick out ... bmw wheels are only around another -10mm than vw wheels arent they should be fine in a std arch..? do you have a pic of your concerns...

I have Audi TT wheels on my VR6 which are approx -10 different offset to standard wheels & they fit fine. They do sit further out but IMO they fill out the arches a treat.

Cheers,

Robbo

I've got a corrado 8v axle, which is 8mm per side narrower.

free to a good home, but needs some welding where I've cut off the bias valve bracket (the VR one was different).

but when you do that you reduce the amount of metal left for the bolt to hold the wheel on?!?!? not a good idea....

not realy as BMW wheels have a offset of 20mm and standard vw is 35mm so u have atleast 15mm to play with

I do on my wheels that ive got for my car as they are BMW wheels but im not shaving them as they sit perfect the way they are :D

err, look down the bolt holes from the back of the wheel. the seat where the bolt head sits isn't rar off the back of the wheel....if you machine the back of the wheel off, you'll have nothing to bolt to.

oh ok well im just going by my wheels and i can 100% say thats mine is 15mm wider as i need to get longer wheels bolts as the standard left arent long enough for me to be happy with

Correct. I had some ET25 BMW 15" BBS wheels I wanted to put on a MK2. I approached a machine shop to enquire about shaving 10mm off the mating face and they thought I was insane. There isn't enough metal there, and it there was, BBS couldn't market their wheels as lightweight!

The idea of altering wheels scares the sh1t out of me....I can't seeyour insurance company being to impressed either if they cause a crash.

I wouldnt be doing that!

the grinding of brakes is a little scarier too!

This happens with the brembo's quite a bit!

fi you think about it you hvae only a few mm of light alloy held in 4 or 5 places holding your wheels on!

Shave this and it will alter what the engineer in BBS or wherever designed as the optimum for the wheels!

Optimum being safety also!

I wouldnt be doing that! :|

sorry but i must be looking at this the wrong way to you guys

But at home i have a standard set of VW BBS G60 wheels and my mate has a standard set of BMW BBS e30 wheels which both are 4x100 PCD and both are 15" and same width. The only difference is that on the VW the center bit where the bolts go through is not aslong as the BMW version i.e :-

VW bolt part - [ ]

BMW bolt part - [ ]

Now to me all it looks like is BBS added more metal to the original casting for the BMW wheels.

Ok im not saying this is for all wheels just the ones ive seen

Another eaxmple is on my old wheels using the wheel bolt i have and at a offset of 35mm i had a good 30mm of bolt sticking out of the other end to bolt onto the hub

Now same wheel bolts but the new wheels i have there is less of the bolt about 10-15mm now sticking out hence why im getting longer bolts.

So i fail to see what you guys are going on about unless the wheels in question the bolts sit in futher in the actual wheel meaning u still get the same amount of thread out of the other side

oh as for caliper shaving thats plain stupid just get wheels u can fit on there hence why ive had to get rid of my brembo kit and go for a different setup :(

on the BBS its the same from memory as we have both out and looking at the difference

As for the new wheels ive got it would be pointless as i have no identical ones in vw offset to measure against

all sounds like way too much hassel to me, leave the wheels on , then weld an extra arch over the protroding wheel, easy, :evilbat:

i dont understand what the problem is et25 will NOT stick out from the std corrado arch even on a 8" wide rim ... leave them as it is and enjoy the arch looking fuller now.. :-P

i dont think am gonna start shaving the wheels down but my rims are 9 1/2 rear 8 1/2 front the front sit just right but i had the rear of the car jacked and i bolted the rear wheel on couldnt drop the car as the rear wheel hasnt got a tyre but you could clearly see it is going to stick out about 10mm dont know if it gets worse as you drop the car or wot, but i thought an easier option to get them to sit right would be to start with a narrower track axle, i've heard g60's and valvers come with this but dont know how narrow it is thers plenty of space for the wheels to move in also dont know if any of the golf's axle will fit or is it just the same...........

cant you just put on a 205 or 215 tyre so it gives the stretched look? these must be awesome wheels if your concidering changing the axel over.

its not the tyre thats the problem its the wheel itself that stands out am gonna see what mods are possible to get them wheels to fit but if anything its worth the challenge

as long as the tread of the tyres are n the arch you will be ok " thats what i was told by the policeman when i got pulled over for red rear lights anyway i was running 9" wide with et15mm what offset are these wheels ?

i think there et 20 ish off a five series beemer, is urs a vr6 cos if you have had a nine inch rim on then i've got a good chance

i think there et 20 ish off a five series beemer, is urs a vr6 cos if you have had a nine inch rim on then i've got a good chance
nope g60/16v rear beam on mine