P3rks

Headlight Clip part number request.

I'm trying to source some headlight clips, specifically these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72414[/ATTACH]

I've tried my local dealer and TPS and they can't find the part number, can anyone tell me the part number or alternative places to buy them?

Thanks

They're called speednuts on ETKA - should be fairly obvious when looking at the diagram.

I'll get you the part number tonight if you can't find

I've looked at EKTA online (VAGCAT) and I can't find anything either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72415[/ATTACH]

They are bizarre as they don't actually hold anything like normal speednuts, it's just a clip with a hole all the way through. I think they must be the strengthen the plastic on the headlights?

That is odd - sure I've ordered them before!

I think the holes are slightly elongated so the clips are there to secure the lights so the beam pattern is constant.

I've made a note to look tonight

Nothing constructive to say unfortunately but I need these as well so adding a response so I can find this thread

I used some little bits of square metal with holes in that i found in the garage, and seems to of done the job. Not sure what the purpose of them is apart from to act as a washer.

N 905 507 01 - Speed Nut

Well, It's funny you should post that as I did find an old post with that part number, but I've actually tried those and they are different - They are proper speed nuts with a thread for the self tapper and are used to secure the fog lights in position. The headlights ones are as Jim's said; effectively just washers - they don't have a thread, just an elongated hole. I'll try and get some pictures for comparison.

I used some little bits of square metal with holes in that i found in the garage, and seems to of done the job. Not sure what the purpose of them is apart from to act as a washer.

Yeah, that's the problem, they are strange and not a standard part. I think they are to act as washers and also to strengthen the plastic tab on the headlight. The original metal clip has a bent tab which holds it securly to the headlight too.

Edited by P3rks

I had to go to VW for various bits today, asked about this part number and it's obsolete as of May 2012.... thanks VW

I also asked about another type of speed nut that I found on Etka (which looked suitable), and guess what - that's obsolete too!

Might be available via Classic parts, I've not check with them yet.

i had the issue of losing on those clips plus one of the tabs had broken, so i made some replacements from some stainless steel including putting the bend in to hold the light surround a bit fiddly but do able!!

Its not on ETKA 7, never has been and I don't know why.

You could just fit a speed nut instead but I think they are there is support the plastic lug and prevent the screw wearing through the plastic due to vibration etc.

The part may be identified on an older version of ETKA if anyone has one still.

---------- Post added at 6:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:44 PM ----------

Humn, doing some further digging it would seem that a suitably sized speed nut would be N 902 767 01 at 4.8mm x 14.25mm.

The 'tab' fitted to the headlights is around 15mm in length (just checked a spare new headlight assembly) to check so this speed nut would work ok, its normally found holding the diagnostic plug connector inside the car.

I replaced mine with standard speed nuts with no issues. Got a bag of 50 in assorted sizes from my local hardware place for £2! I think we may be overthinking this...;)

Stone