timmaaah

Ignition switched power supply, but...

I need an ignition switched power supply, but one that doesn't then briefly turn off when the engine is cranked. The glovebox light feed seems to flick off when the engine cranks, as does the power supply to the radio.

Any idea as to where I can get a stable, ignition switched live feed from? One that specifically doesn't dip/flick off when the car starts?

I want to hard wire in my satnav, but it turns off when the car is started - it goes like this: Ignition on - satnav turns on - start car (power supply dips) satnav turns off :/

Many thanks :)

Does the sat nav not run off a battery?

I think all interior electrics go through the load relief relay, which reduces load on all non-essential systems when the car is started. The only ones I can think of that won't are anything to do with the engine and starter, and perhaps the side lights?

Does the sat nav not run off a battery?

I think all interior electrics go through the load relief relay, which reduces load on all non-essential systems when the car is started. The only ones I can think of that won't are anything to do with the engine and starter, and perhaps the side lights?

Yes - it has a battery, but it auto turns on and off with the power supply, but because there's that dip, it turns off when I start the car, meaning I have to manually turn it back on :/

You've normally got four positions on the ignition switch,

0) ignition switched off (everything is off now (accept for the radio and ECU plus clock memory)

1) is the auxiliary (powers the radio with ignition off)

2) is ignition switched on (everything has power now)

3) is the cranking position (supplies power to the starter so to start vehicle)

Lights on the Corrado or any vehicle may flicker if there on as the starter motor is quite a large drain on the electrical system i.e battery,

same for the radio it may flick off for a second when cranking over the engine until it starts up,

then the ignition switch goes back to position 2

What I'm saying is you should be able to get power from the auxiliary wire from the ignition switch,

then you should be all sorted.

Or you could get power directly from the fuse box i.e the main battery feed.

You say the satnav turns off when you crank the engine, why not just start the car up and then turn on your satnav, job done.

Hope this helps

Si :thumbleft:

I think he just wants the satnav to come on with ignition/engine running and stay on, rather than having to physically turn it on. :thumb:

Fag lighter feed?

Yeah - I'm a lazy sod!! I really want the satnav to turn on and off by itself (it's such a pain to do it manually :D) The fag lighter on mine is permanently live - is that normal?

Cheers Si - I'll get my multimeter out and have a play - thanks :)

The fag lighter on mine is permanently live - is that normal?

yeah, how else would your passenger light up a smoke while you're at the petrol station?

Sorted - the voltage drop on the glovebox light is minimal during cranking, so I've taken a feed from that :) - not sure why it didn't work before :/