Sign in to follow this  
Ka`

A couple of questions about an install

Help the poor girl in need,

Sorry about this, I am sure the answers are somewhere, but I haven't found them.

The door trim that holds down the carpet. How do I get it off? I've tried gently prising it off,

but I am afraid I'll snap it. How is it attached? Some plasticy bolts that the carpet seems

to have holes for? Everyone else mentions just popping it off, but no one says how :)

CD changer cable. Is it classed as a power lead, or a signal lead? Should I group it with

the subwoofer power lead, or can it go with the RCA and speaker wires?

I am sure I will be asking more questions on this thread, but these are the questions

I've faced so far. Thank you already to lots of people, especially kevhaywire and Henny

for providing how tos and tips!

Cheers,

Rica

The door sill trims do literally pop off but if yours are stiff, that's a good sign. Means they've never come out before :lol:

There are a series of white plastic clips which do exactly as you say, clip into holes in the carpet and sill. These then clip into the underside of the sill trim but loosely so that you can slide the trim up and down once clipped down. I would get a load of clips in from VW because they *will* break when you pull the sill up. Just yank it off, don't be scared..... make sure you've removed the two self tapping screws first, 1 at each end. If they're there that is. Some cars don't have them.

Run the CD changer cable down the passenger side away from the fuel pump loom and relay box.

K

the trim is indeed hard to prise off,you can get specific tools for the job, but i just used a largish flat screwdriver,once i got the first few clips of i just slid the trim off the others,as for the cd changer cable it is both a power lead and signal lead afaik,

Thanks,

I'll head off into the rain :) I've managed to get the seat off (easy) and am now going to take

the carpet off. I had a swimming pool there a while ago and I can already smell the swamp underneath :pukeleft:

4 rolls of Brown Bread, some car jute underlay, and jumbles of wires later, I should have a Basslink in the

boot with a Kenwood 10Gb Music Keg, yay! But still, I am routing all the new wires down the passenger side,

but the question remains. Should I just put the changer cable with the power for sub without the signal

catching some interference?

OH! While I am there, my fan makes an annoying whirring noise on speed 1. Since I can

see the fan, what can I do to it? Are the bearings going on it? Can I spray some e.g. WD-40

in it to make it silent at least for a while?

Cheers, again!

Rica

Changer leads are very well insulated, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nothing can be done with the fan, once they start squealing, the bearing has gone. Replacement is the only cure. £45 from G&S.

K

as Kev says, there's power in the CD changer lead anyway, so putting it next to the power to the sub won't make a blind bit of difference to it... IIRC the audio that goes down most CD changers multi-wires is balanced (like pro audio kit in the radio stations I work in) so it filters out any electrical noise anyway which is why they can put power in the same cable... 8)

The fan is a doddle to fit once you've got one, but it's worth doing it fairly soon as once they start squealing the bearings are already knackered and the fan motor will start to over heat the resistor pack and blow the thermal fuse stopping the fan working on any speed except 4... :mad:

It's not difficult (or expensive, about 30p!) to fix the thermal fuse, but why let it get that bad when you're gonna have to change the fan anyway... I've just fitted a new fan to my Corrado and it makes such a BIG difference... 8)

DON'T spray WD40 into the fan, it'll dissolve what ever grease is left in there and speed up the wear on the bearings... if you wanna try lube'ing it, try some 3in1 oil... that's got graphite in it and will help lube the bearing rather than cleaning it... ;)

My fan was so bad, the motor was wobbling off centre and the carbon scoring inside was awful, not to mention the plastic around the plug melting causing intermittant cut-outs, lovely :lol:

Whell,

The passenger side carpet came up just fine, but I am not having such a good time with the driver's side. :mad:

There are so many retaining clips and such behind the pedals, that I've given up for tonight. I did want to wash

the carpet while it was out, but it looks like I can't get it off without getting seriously miffed with it.

Also, I couldn't get the handbrake cover off. I take this mythical button is underneath the leather, just behind the big notchy

rest for your little finger? Will have to try again tomorrow.

The argument will ensue tomorrow, whether it rains or not :) Better'd charge up my camera as well...

Cheers,

Rica

theres a small tab type thing behind the notch in the handbrake..but your better off pulling it towards the gear shift as hard as possible...it will eventually come off.

the rest of it too...that slides off so don't pull it directly up.

lets hope you take plenty of photos cos i wanna get some new carpet in mine and clean up my old one. good luck. :mrgreen:

Ehh...

Not very many pictures, mainly about the Brown Bread and the new underlay.. Didn't even bother taking

pictures of routing of cables! I always do this though, I say I'll take pictures, it will probably help someone someday, but never do...

:(

Cheers,

Rica

Anyways,

Thank you all, I've got it sorted now, power down the passenger side near the door, RCAs in the centre tunnel.

Basslink nice and, ehhh, bassy :) And the Music Kegs lovely too.

Cheers,

Rica