tonytiger

Clarke Tool Cabinets & Chests

Looking at getting a tool cabinet and chest to try to get organised (as I can never find the right tools when I need them), probably Clarke Heavy Duty range - specifically these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cbi170b-7-drawer-tool-cabinet-blue-lin

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/070118130

Could possibly look at the extra large (wide) ones - but they're obviously a lot more expensive (and I probably don't have sufficient tools at the moment to need all that storage). So thinking I could go with those smaller ones, and if necessary just buy the same again if I want more of the same type of storage.

Does anybody else have the Clarke HD ones, and how have you found them? Quality okay? Drawer sizes okay, or too shallow?

Anybody know when the next Machine Mart vat free day is likely to be? I never seem to have much to buy when the VAT free days are on, and lots to buy when they're not!

I've got the cheaper red ones and they've been great, so I would imagine those blue ones would be even better / stronger.

I've got a Blue HD one - usually £140 but I bought for £120 Vat Free

They had the VAT free offer on yesterday online until mid night - register with them for the emails.

It's very good quality but I still prefer my Halfords Industrial ones - when these are on offer I think they are better value if you're buying top and bottom

The top Halfords box is bigger as it's designed to sit on the cab, the machine mart one I have on a garage / metal shelf unit

They're ok for the money, but some edges are a bit rough and one of my locking casters on the base unit has bent slightly and it won't roll straight anymore (not got that much weight in it and not the tallest top box), I've hardly used them really and I don't think they'd stand up brilliantly to hard daily use in a workshop, does me fine for home use though.

I have the wider version of the newer black and gold range arriving tomorrow. I am an aircraft engineer, so our boxes are being wheeled around the hangar a lot every day. Someone I work with has had the blue HD version for a few years and its good as new.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I did look at the halfords ones, but decided they weren't for me - I think it was because there's one deeper drawer rather than 2 - and the brand new, unopened one the guy opened for me to look at was already damaged!

davidwort - hope you've just been unlucky rather than them all ending up like that. They are just for light home use, but I'd hope they'll be fairly robust.

Maybe I should look at the halfords ones again before I decide.

I'm not saying they are bad boxes, just that they are built to a price, the drawer bearing runners seem fine and nothing has actually broken ( had my HD for about 5 years) I like mine and it's pretty full of kit it's just I have friends and family in the trade with snap-on kit and if you want something to last a lifetime then you pay your moneys...

Just trying to give a fair review, took me ages to choose my cabinet and top box and I looked at all the halfords ones etc at the time, just have a really close look at them and make sure it's what you want, I went for the 6 drawer base and 3 plus 3 small drawers in the top box, suits me fine although you can always do with more storage :), I wouldn't be able to see in the top of a taller unit though :)

I'm not saying they are bad boxes, just that they are built to a price, the drawer bearing runners seem fine and nothing has actually broken ( had my HD for about 5 years) I like mine and it's pretty full of kit it's just I have friends and family in the trade with snap-on kit and if you want something to last a lifetime then you pay your moneys...

Have to agree with that assesment. They do the job but they're not in the same league as professional grade workshop cabinets. They're plenty good enought 99% of DIY enthusiasts :D