Bast

Help with my cars colour

So this might seem daft, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my rados colour.

It's code is lc5u which would suggest it's aqua blue, but after putting a rear bumper and some doors on (which I got from one of the cars been broken on here) I'm really unsure what it is. I ended up putting the original doors back on for the time being. But left the bumper on to give an idea of the difference in colour.

There's nothing to suggest that the car has been repainted in it's life, and from what I can ascertain the car the doors and bumper came from hadn't either.

From some angles the difference isn't so great, but from others its huge. I realise that the reflections of bushes etc won't help, and that the pics aren't exactly great quality. But give an idea.

42f47b6b-0b60-42a0-bfb4-b152c58abd65_zps7c7e75e3.jpg

a13a11db-849a-4213-81c3-0b337b01361b_zpsa75b9cae.jpg

2013-03-17110034_zps2f8d058f.jpg

2013-03-17110045_zps1959b637.jpg

Could it just be that the car needs a really really good polishing or do they look completely different colours? Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated

Edited by Bast

to confirm if you initial thaughts are correct, if you look inside your boot, stuck to the either the inner plastic trim just below the boot latch or under the carpet next to the spare wheel will be a sticker with a paint code on. Or there is an orange sticker tucked behind the airbox on the inner wing also with the paint code.

Matt

Rear bumper looks like mystic blue to me

After looking at yours (which is stunning by the way :thumbleft:) it does look like it from certain angles, especially the doors (for the brief period they were on the car). But am I right in thinking that Mystic Blue was only available on the storms?

This is the car that the parts came from http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?57516-Yacobwood-s-Aqua-16v

to confirm if you initial thaughts are correct, if you look inside your boot, stuck to the either the inner plastic trim just below the boot latch or under the carpet next to the spare wheel will be a sticker with a paint code on. Or there is an orange sticker tucked behind the airbox on the inner wing also with the paint code.

Matt

Thanks for that Matt, I knew about the one in the boot, but didn't know about the orange sticker on the inner wing. Good to know :)

Mine is Aqua blue and looks the same as yours. My paint sometimes looks different to adjacent panels in some lights.

That's good to hear, I can't say I've seen any other Aqua blue rados in person, so I really didn't know how the colour appears from different angles etc. So I'm hoping it might just be a case of my car needing some polish and a whole load of elbow grease.

I'm slowly getting over mine with a machine polisher and it reduces that random colour effect. I think it's just a trait of this particular colour on our cars. I know it's pearlescent, is that what can happen on this type of paint?

Does the bumper have a purpley tint in sunlight? If it does, then I'd say it's mystic blue.

On an overcast day, mine looks like a dark blue, like your bumper does.

Could be the original seller had his car repainted?

Looks Aqua Blue Pearl to me.. but that a resprayer hasn't matched the colors properly when respraying after an accident or something :(

Cheers for all the replies so far guys, really appreciated

My old aqua blue looked the same all over

RAZ041.jpg

Cheers for the pic, what wheels are they out of curiosity? Concave rs2's?

Does the bumper have a purpley tint in sunlight? If it does, then I'd say it's mystic blue.

On an overcast day, mine looks like a dark blue, like your bumper does.

Could be the original seller had his car repainted?

Looks Aqua Blue Pearl to me.. but that a resprayer hasn't matched the colors properly when respraying after an accident or something :(

The bumper (and doors) do have a tint of deep purple to them from certain angles, not necessarily in bright sunlight though. But then that's how Aqua blue is suppose to appear isn't it? I've spoken to Yacob_wood (who the parts came from) and as far as he's aware, the car hadn't been repainted in it's life. I think it belonged to Ben_Wooduk before so might be worth asking him. But looking at any previous threads, like the one in my first reply, it just looks like they've come from a car that's been really well looked after as oppose to been repainted.

As for my car, I really don't have reason to believe it's had a respray at any point in its life. There's no sign of overlap on inside of doors, engine bay, inside the car (which I realise can be achieved by a decent painter) but its more the fact that the paint/bodywork is in fairly shoddy condition haha :D

theres defo a colour difference.

id say inca blue car, aqua blue bumper..

I'd not seen (or actually heard) Inca blue before, but I can see what you mean. But I don't think it was a choice on the later VR6's was it? (apologies for not mentioning that sooner) And there's really nothing to suggest that there's been a respray of the car, for reasons above :)

I'm slowly getting over mine with a machine polisher and it reduces that random colour effect. I think it's just a trait of this particular colour on our cars. I know it's pearlescent, is that what can happen on this type of paint?

I have a feeling that ultimately, that's what I'm going to have to do before I can get any further. Good to hear that from a fellow aqua blue-er with a similar issue :thumbleft:

Thanks All

Aren't there two shades of Aqua Blue? Seem to recall something about VW confusing everyone by making the paint darker at some point..? Try asking fla or StueyB - two aqua blue owners :)

Stone

As an outside possibility could it be weathering?? I've seen colour difference in cars before now depending on how they are kept, ie I'm sure everyone has seen a tornado red go to a tornado pink if its had tonnes of sunlight and weathering, is it possible the donor car was a barn find at some point and not had the same exposure that your car has? Probably a long shot I know