J.C

Headlight warning buzzer

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, so mod if you would like to move this, feel free to do so,

This is a step by step instruction of how to install a headlight warning buzzer(relay 36) into the standard relay panel

NOTES

Relay 36 can be purchased online, i.e. eBay for a little as £3,

The new contacts being inserted into plug L and plug H1 are standard throughout Volkswagens of this era, once you find a suitable connector with at least 30 cm of cable(you can cut the speaker wires from a car in a Breakers yard), t

The best way of removing the contact form the connector is to cut the connector,

To completely remove connectors from the fuse/relay panel, there is a bar which runs between the two banks of connectors, this needs to be moved by 5 mm to the right, this will allow the connectors to be released.

Remove fuse cover,

Remove lower cover,

Unclip the fuse/relay panel from the brackets,

Remove plug L from back of relay panel,

Insert new contact into plug L terminal 2,

Locate brown/white wire from drivers door switch(should be a spare connector behind the panel holding the Bonnet release lever),

Wire this into the drivers doorswitch spare connector.

Insert new contact into plug L terminal 3,

Locate the grey wire going to terminal 58e of the headlight switch,

Splice into the grey wire.

Reconnect plug L.

Remove plug H1,

Insert new contact into plug H1 terminal 7,

Trace a thin brown/red wire from the ignition switch to above the fuse box, there will be a connector(this supplies the switched positive to the radio),

splice into the brown/red wire.

Refit the fuse/relay panel,

Install relay 36 into relay position 9.

This should give you a standard sounding headlight warning buzzer which operates in a factory fitted way.

All care and attention has been taken in the making and writing of this modification,

Please be aware that the colour of the wires stated may be different in your car.

Therefore proceed with caution.

Steve

Thanks for sharing. It's really appreciated when people take the time to write something up.

Guys, I have everything I need to do this job. However when I dropped the fuse/relay board the layout is different from the ones given. My L connection is a red connector with 10 female pins. All the terminals have cables in them, so I was wondering if I should splice into the terminals 2 and 3. The diagrams say that the L terminal should have 8 female pins. I have a 94 vr6

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, so mod if you would like to move this, feel free to do so,

This is a step by step instruction of how to install a headlight warning buzzer(relay 36) into the standard relay panel

NOTES

Relay 36 can be purchased online, i.e. eBay for a little as £3,

The new contacts being inserted into plug L and plug H1 are standard throughout Volkswagens of this era, once you find a suitable connector with at least 30 cm of cable(you can cut the speaker wires from a car in a Breakers yard), t

The best way of removing the contact form the connector is to cut the connector,

To completely remove connectors from the fuse/relay panel, there is a bar which runs between the two banks of connectors, this needs to be moved by 5 mm to the right, this will allow the connectors to be released.

Remove fuse cover,

Remove lower cover,

Unclip the fuse/relay panel from the brackets,

Remove plug L from back of relay panel,

Insert new contact into plug L terminal 2,

Locate brown/white wire from drivers door switch(should be a spare connector behind the panel holding the Bonnet release lever),

Wire this into the drivers doorswitch spare connector.

Insert new contact into plug L terminal 3,

Locate the grey wire going to terminal 58e of the headlight switch,

Splice into the grey wire.

Reconnect plug L.

Remove plug H1,

Insert new contact into plug H1 terminal 7,

Trace a thin brown/red wire from the ignition switch to above the fuse box, there will be a connector(this supplies the switched positive to the radio),

splice into the brown/red wire.

Refit the fuse/relay panel,

Install relay 36 into relay position 9.

This should give you a standard sounding headlight warning buzzer which operates in a factory fitted way.

All care and attention has been taken in the making and writing of this modification,

Please be aware that the colour of the wires stated may be different in your car.

Therefore proceed with caution.

Steve

Really useful, Steve!

Thanks! :clap:

I've added a warning buzzer, the guide is correct but it's worth checking continuity from the L2,L3 and H7 pins to the relay socket. There is another buzzer relay (not 36) that doesn't work with this I'll try and find the number...